How We Test VPNs
All VPNs tested on Windows go through a three-day process. Each day we test the VPN speeds in five different countries plus the base speed without a VPN connection. Each country is tested three times per day taking the average.
When the testing is done we take the average of the base speed, and the overall global average of the VPN speeds. Then we represent the drop from the base speed as a percentage. The idea is to show how generally good a VPN is across all locations, and not just Europe or the United States. We also dont show specific megabytes-per-second speed since those speeds can vary greatly, but how much dip to expect as a percentage can be more generalized.
Free VPNs can sometimes hamper the speeds compared to what you see on free VPNs however, thats not as much of a concern here as all the VPNs we recommend have good speeds regardless.
Finding a good free VPN for Windows is fairly simple. It all depends on whether you prioritize features like unlimited data usage, extra features, or a higher number of country options.
Thinking of using your VPN for something other than with a Fire Stick? Check out more of our best VPN roundups to help you make the right decision:
Way 2 How To Set Up A VPN On Windows 11 From Network And Sharing Center
1. Click on the Start menu in the center of the taskbar and select Settings.
2. In Windows 11 Settings, choose Network & internet in the left panel.
3. Move to the right part, scroll down to find and click on the Dial-up option.
4. On the next screen, choose Network and Sharing Center.
5. In the Network and Sharing Center, click the Set up a new connection or network.
6. In the new window, choose a connection option. You should select Connect to a workplace to set up a dial-up or VPN connection to your workplace.
7. Next, click Use my Internet connection .
8. Then, you will be asked to fulfill the Internet address and Destination name .
9. Return to select Change adapter settings in the left menu in the Network and Sharing Center.
10. You will see the added VPN on the screen. Right-click on it and choose Properties.
11. In the VPN Connection Properties window, switch to the Security tab.
12. There, you can customize the type of VPN and enable Microsoft CHAP Version 2 under Allow these options.
13. Shift to the Networking tab, select Internet Protocol Version 4 , and click the Properties button.
14. In the Internet Protocol Version 4 Properties window, select Use the following DNS server addresses and type your Preferred DNS server address.
15. If you dont want all your network connections through the VPN, just click the Advanced button under the DNS server settings and uncheck Use default gateway on remote network.
The Problems With Free VPNs
Free VPN services may cost nothing but there is usually a good reason for that it means the provider will be turning a profit in some other way, usually with invasive advertising or by selling your browsing data to third-parties .
Plus, free services tend to limit the amount of data you can use and the speed you can use it at, rendering them practically useless for streaming video, torrenting or as an extra layer of reliable security in your day-to-day online life. And don’t expect the kind of easy-access support or server range that you get with the paid services, either.
So, before we get stuck in to our list of the best free VPN downloads, it’s worth knowing that a paid-for version can cost as little as around $2/£2 per month and these best VPNs will give you much better performance and protection.
Proton VPN Free currently tops our Best Free VPN charts. Partly that’s for its nicely-judged mix of features, power and app quality. But it’s also because the service doesn’t pile on the limits and restrictions to try and persuade you to upgrade. This is a free VPN you could use long-term.
Proton hasn’t punished free users by leaving out key features, either. Some free providers drop the kill switch, WireGuard, maybe even support, but Proton VPN Free has all the core privacy features you need to stay safe online.
Windscribe Free VPN is a quality Canadian service whose appealing mix of features more than justifies its top three place.
Also Check: What Is The Best Free VPN For Chrome
Want To Try The Top VPN Risk
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30 day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Windows 11 with no restrictions for a month. This is plenty of time if you happen to be traveling for just a few weeks.
There are no hidden terms – just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn’t right for you and you’ll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Many VPNs offer Windows apps. However, we found the very best VPNs for Windows 11 by looking for those that fulfil the following criteria:
- Fast server speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Servers in dozens of countries worldwide
- High level of security with encryption
- Protects privacy with a strict no-logs policy
- Live chat and email support
- Risk-free money-back guarantee of at least 30 days
We go into more detail on our exact testing process below.
Top 5+ VPNs For Windows 11 That Are Free To Download
- With cyber threats getting more advanced, users are taking their internet security more seriously with a VPN.
- VPNs encrypt your data through a virtual server to protect it from cyber attacks.
- The VPNs on this list are free to download, some offer free versions and others have a money-back guarantee.
The internet is constantly growing and evolving, and with it comes cyber threats that are getting more and more advanced.
Millions of people are aware of their online security and having a Virtual Private Network is quickly becoming essential for internet safety.
While the following VPNs offer paid pro or premium versions, they are free to download and either have free versions with data limits or offer money-back guarantees.
Best VPNs we recommend
Recommended Reading: Free VPN Server List With Username And Password
Are Free VPNs Legal
Yes, free VPNs and paid VPNs are legal in the vast majority of countries around the world . However, it should be noted that just because VPNs are legal, doesnt mean that they can be used for illegal activities such as torrenting copyrighted materialthats still illegal even if its harder to detect the identity of the user in question.
Free VPN Software For Windows 11/10
It is now time to use VPN software also for Security & Privacy. Here is a list of the best free VPN software & service providers for Windows 11/10/8/7 computers. Browse anonymously and protect your Internet connection at all times. Do note that most of them also offer a paid version that gives you faster speed and unlocks additional bandwidth and features.
1. TunnelBear VPN
TunnelBear is a simple VPN software with no complex installation process or crapware. Like most of the other VPN agents mentioned above, TunnelBear also creates a virtual network adapter used to route your internet traffic to its servers in Germany, the UK, France, the United States, and a couple of other countries. The program comes in both a free and paid version. TunnelBear blocks all tracking websites and lets you browse freely without the fear of getting tracked or hacked. This one is worth checking out!
2. Avira Phantom VPN
3. Globus Free VPN Browser
4. Betternet VPN
5. SecurityKiss VPN
This is a simple VPN software with a weird name, of course. However, it claims to protect all your data from eavesdroppers. With a straightforward installation process, this program brings no crapware or toolbar, or hidden add-ons along. While its default server is based in the US, The virtual network created by the free version of SecurityKiss allows you to get an IP of the UK, Canada, Germany, or France.
7. Neorouter VPN
8. Hotspot Shield VPN
Don’t Miss: How To Change VPN On Google Chrome
From Network And Sharing Center
It is also a manual method of setting up a VPN in Windows 11. However, it requires some extra effort than the previously discussed method. Follow these steps to set up a VPN from the network and sharing center:
You can see your new VPN profile under VPN connections. Click on Connect button to connect through it.
Ques 11 How Do I Create A VPN In Windows 11
Follow the steps below to manually set up a VPN in Windows 11:
- Go to the Windows Settings.
- Next, choose VPN and click on Add VPN.
- After that, you will have to determine the following VPN service provider, Connection name, Server address or name, type of VPN, and sign-in info type.
- Once done, you can see it under the VPN Connections.
- Lastly, click on Connect.
Recommended Reading: What Is VPN Connection On Laptop
Private Internet Access Unlimited VPN
Users of TV want to watch their team in action and with private internet access they cannot miss it out. But, licensing rights to the team shall consider one to be in-market if they try to watch their favorite show online. This means you can miss out on your favorite content but if connected to a VPN outside the region there is no way to delay your favorite show.
It is best if you do not want to keep logs. They have good popularity among users over small time. Where some organizations and companies claim not to keep logs at the same time turn over to authorities. Its team works hard to protect the privacy of its users. If you keep privacy at top priority then this one is designed for you.
Benefits Of Using A VPN With Windows 11
Having gone through this article, you may be wondering why you should use a VPN with Windows 11 in the first place. As we alluded to earlier, using a VPN keeps your information private and secure. However, there are several other benefits that come with using a VPN. These are:
- A VPN encrypts your internet activity which helps prevent snooping and surveillance by your ISP, government surveillance associations, or other malicious actors.
- You can use public WiFi freely if youre protected by a VPN.
- VPNs allow users to and other files safely and anonymously.
- You can change your IP addressusing a VPN. As a result, you can access blocked or censored content.
- VPNs also offer greater security, especially when accessing sensitive information, such as your bank accounts.
If youre doubting whether a VPN is the best choice for you, you can always try out one of these excellent free VPNs for PC to get started.
Read Also: How To Add VPN To My Laptop
Warning: Risks Of Free VPNs
Most free VPNs for Windows can be a threat to your online safety. Its important to read reviews and do your research dont just download any random free VPN because it could be dangerous. To make finding a safe free VPN easy, I tested all of the free VPNs on this list and theyre safe.
These are some of the dangers to look out for with many free VPNs:
- Free VPNs can log and sell your data. Free VPNs often make a profit by selling your personal information to third parties. Be sure to choose a VPN with a strict zero-logs policy, so your online data is always protected.
- Free VPNs can have data leaks due to weak security features. Since free VPNs often dont have the resources to update their security protocols, IP/DNS data leaks can occur. In addition, they often come without essential security features such as a kill switch and military-grade encryption.
- Free VPNs can infect your device with viruses and malware. Some free VPNs have malware and viruses embedded in their app. Furthermore, because most free VPNs rely on advertising to make a profit, they often bombard you with ads, which could increase the risk of infecting your device.
Can I Use A Free VPN With Windows 11
While you can use a free VPN with Windows 11, we dont recommend it. First, free VPNs offer only a limited number of servers so you may struggle to unblock content from some countries. Furthermore, speeds tend to be slow due to bandwidth throttling, making them highly unsuitable for streaming. Last but not least, free VPNs may not properly encrypt your data while some keep logs of your browsing data, selling the information to third parties.
Also Check: Are VPN Safe On Iphone
Are Free VPNs Legal To Use
It depends on local laws.The use of VPNs to protect your online data is legal in most countries around the world. Only a few countries have banned them or regulate their use, so its best to read up on the rules in countries like that before using a VPN there. In addition, using a VPN to perform illegal activities does not make those activities legal. The team at vpnMentor doesnt condone the use of VPNs to break any laws.
Ques 1: Is There A Free VPN For Windows
There are many free VPNs for Windows. We have shared some of our top choices in this article. You may use any of these VPNs according to your preferences.
After learning about the handsome features of the 21 best and free VPN for Windows 10, you can take your pick from the above-listed VPN services. Every internet used is entitled to online privacy during their various browsing sessions.
Therefore, free VPN providers for Windows can provide this privacy to the users. As Windows users are vulnerable to online threats and malware attacks, therefore VPNs can protect and secure their users from the prying eyes of cybercriminals.
The data transferred through VPN connections remain secure and intact without being accessible by outer networks.
Recommended Reading: How To Connect VPN To Firestick
What Is A Dns Leak
When you connect to a VPN, all your online traffic is supposed to be routed through the VPN network. That includes the DNS queries we mentioned before. They should go through the encrypted tunnel straight to your VPN providers DNS servers.
But thats not always the case. A DNS leak is a security flaw that allows your queries to travel to the default DNS servers, which belong to your internet service provider . That may happen if you:
are running Windows 8 or later with the Smart Multi-Homed Name Resolution feature enabled
have recently reset your system preferences
have set up a VPN manually
are using a VPN service that doesnt own its DNS servers nor offer adequate protection from leaks.
How Can It Affect Me
If any of your online traffic goes out through the regular, unencrypted route, third parties may intercept it. That includes your ISP or DNS provider, who would be able to see the websites you visit, the services you use, and more.On top of that, you wont even know about it, unless you take a special DNS test for leaks, like the one provided here. You could call it a VPN security test because if a service wont fully reroute all your traffic, its not as secure as it should be. Thats why its imperative to choose a VPN with DNS leak protection.
Recommended Reading: How To Use Windows 10 VPN Service
Enter VPNs For Phones And Tablets
A mobile VPN, or virtual private network, ensures that your data is safe whether youre using home Wi-Fi, a local cafe hotspot, or your mobile network. Heres why you need a VPN on your phone:
Completely Free VPN For Windows 7 8 81 And 10
Let us remind you that a free service always comes with compromises. The level of security, features, number of servers, speed, or versatility will probably be affected. In general, it is quite unlikely that you can use a free Windows VPN for torrenting, Netflix, Hulu as well as any activity that would require maximum anonymity.
It costs a lot of money to maintain a VPN network. So, how on earth could it be free? Well, the provider has to make just enough bucks somehow to keep the service running, right? Or, did you think that VPNs and charity walk hand in hand? Let us burst this pink bubble right here, right now.
Explore best paid options on our Best VPN for Windows list.
Whether its a completely free VPN for Windows or a paid one, its all about the money. Sorry, Jessie J, your Price Tag aint gonna resonate with the VPN market.
This is exactly why you should never use a completely free VPN because it will either show you annoying third-party ads and videos or sell the personal data it logs about you and your online traffic, not to mention the lower quality of service you may get.
Whats even worse, hackers, cybercriminals, and governments can create their own free VPN services to lure unsuspecting computer users into a trap of full surveillance. Youd better avoid all the shady ones if you plan to protect your privacy.
We kept two main criteria in our mind while making this Free VPN for Windows list. Those are your online security and VPNs usability.
Recommended Reading: Can You Leave VPN On All The Time