Finding A VPN That Actually Works
Now, with all of that said, theres still an issue of finding a proper VPN provider so that you wouldnt need to ask is my VPN working?. Luckily, that might be easier than you think.
A whole lot of people, before making their VPN purchase, dont do much priorresearch. Thats actually the main reason why they have to google is my VPN working? later on . A little bit of preparation and reading up beforehandcan save you a lot of time and money in the long run.
Online, you will find thousands of different user VPN reviews. Admittedly, it can be really difficult and tedious trying to get through all of them and remain sane by the end.
The fact of the matter, however, is that you dont have to.
On our website, youll find a list of the top VPN providers of the current year. The list was comprised by gathering the most reliable user reviews, mixed together with in-house expert opinions and personally testingeach of the VPNs. This way, you can be sure that the information provided is 100% accurate and reliable.
Now, you know the different uses for a VPN, and youre more knowledgeable on where to look if you want to find the best VPN providers around. All thats left to do is tackle the main questions of this tutorial – is my VPN working, how to check if VPN is working and how to test VPN.
How To Test Your VPNs Speed
It isnt always obvious to tell exactly how fast your VPN connection is unless you do a test. You can use speedtest.net to test your most frequently used servers and locations. Simply connect to your VPN, go to the website, and click GO.
The speed test will run for a moment and eventually present you with three numbers:
If you find that your ping is very high and your upload and download speeds are very low, your VPN might be affecting your speed. To solve this, try these steps:
If your connection is still slow after youve tried several VPN servers and protocols, you might need to start looking for a different, faster VPN provider.
Contact Your Isp To Verify Your VPN Isnt Being Blocked
Give your ISP a ring and inquire if its actively blocking your VPN solution. Sometimes, it does this proactively to help thwart malicious actors attempting to use free or open-source VPN solutions. Also, some ISPs may think something malicious is happening if they see that a VPN is filtering your home network constantly.
You May Like: Pokemon Go VPN
How Can VPNsafetydot Help You
The VPNSafetyDot app is specifically designed for Fire TV Stick and Fire TV devices. It lets you know whether or not your VPN connection is active. This is done through a dot that appears on the upper right corner of the screen.
Whether youre streaming content on Netflix or playing games, this dot will flash green whenever you have an active VPN connection.
An inactive VPN connection typically leads to a color change in this dot as it becomes red. This makes it easy for you to see how secure your connection is and how well your VPN is working for you. Youll also be able to see which IP address is showing to anyone thats watching.
How To Fix A Dns Leak
If youve done the process above and discovered a DNS leak, it doesnt necessarily mean you need to start looking for another VPN. The first thing you do should is contact the customer support department of your chosen VPN company and see if they can fix the issue.
Unfortunately, if customer service cant help, you will need to find a new VPN provider to use. During your search, make sure you prioritize a virtual protected network that has its own encrypted DNS servers, so you can avoid another leak happening again.
Recommended Reading: What Does A VPN Do On Iphone
Use Expressvpns Dns Leak Test To Whether Your Dns Queries Are Protected
Another useful feature in the ExpressVPN software is the DNS leak test. You need to check for DNS leaks, as sometimes a VPN will encrypt your traffic but not your devices DNS queries. This is a major problem as it means that your browsing history will be visible to your ISP, undermining the point of using a VPN. Fortunately, most VPNs have got much better at protecting against DNS leaks in the last few years, but its still a good idea to check that you are not experiencing a DNS leak just to be sure.
To check for DNS leaks using ExpressVPN, you can use the leak detection site. You can access this from the ExpressVPN applications menu by clicking the three horizontal grey lines, then going to Help, then to DNS leak test. This will open up the site in your browser.
If everything is okay and you are not experiencing any DNS leaks, youll see a green banner in the DNS leak status box that says No DNS leaks detected. Next to this youll see information about the DNS server which you are currently using.
If you are experiencing a DNS leak, youll see a red banner in the DNS leak status box that says Your DNS is exposed. with information next to it about your current DNS servers, which are probably the default of your ISP. If you see this, you know that you need to turn on your VPN or check your settings to ensure that youre safe.
Why Use A VPN
Before you go to the trouble of selecting and connecting to a VPN, there are many reasons why you would want to use one in the first place:
- Be safe on public Wi-Fi networks. Joining public Wi-Fi networks may be easy and convenient, but it also makes you susceptible to hackers. VPNs hide your sensitive information so you can stay private.
- Protect data. In general, a lot of people can see what youre doing online without a VPN, from the websites you visit to your devices real IP addresses. VPNs are a great catchall privacy tool to keep your data away from internet service providers.Stream foreign content. Again, by switching your region, you can watch a ton of content not available in the country youre actually in. Netflix India, anyone?
- Torrent. With the disclaimer that we dont support torrenting of copyrighted materials, many people use VPNs for torrenting or downloading content. In fact, 7 percent of people use VPNs for torrenting, according to our research on why people use VPNs. Thats not anywhere near the 49 percent who use VPNs for general security, but its something.
- . Lastly, if you work in an office or live in a country with internet censorship, VPNs can help you bypass restrictions and surf the web freely. While we dont consider ourselves to be rule-breakers, if we lived in China, with its Great Firewall, we might feel differently.
Recommended Reading: Can I Install VPN On My Router
How Do I Check If My VPN Is Blocking Me From Doing Things
To see if youre using a proxy/VPN online, go to www.whatismyproxy.com. It will say if youre connected to a proxy or not.
One: Check For Ip Address Leaks
Your IP address is an essential piece of information. It shows who your ISP is and approximately where youre located. So the first thing to look at is whether your VPN is leaking your IP address. In simple terms, this means that your Internet Service Provider and the sites that youre visiting can see your actual IP address, not your virtual one. The testing process is simple just follow these instructions:
If the IP address is different when connected, the VPN is working, and your IP address is secure. However, if it is the same, your IP address is leaking, and you are not protected. This could be an issue with the VPN tunneling process or due to other reasons.
Recommended Reading: Att Uverse Block Websites
How To Test For Browser Extension VPN Leak
Browser extension VPN leaks occur due to prefetching. Prefetching is activated by default when using Chrome browsers.
Here are steps you can take to test whether you have a browser extension VPN leak.
Step 1: Activate the Chrome plugin on your VPN.
Step 2: Go to chrome://net-internals/#dns and click on clear host cache.
Step 3: Then go to any website to confirm the leak.
How To Run A VPN Test For Ip Leak
NordVPN is one of the few providers that are leak-free. But if youre using another service and want to know how to check if your VPN is working, do a routine IP address and location test.
The new IP address issued by your Virtual Private Network provider should match with the countrys server you chose in your VPN app.
You can perform this IP test at any given time to see if your regular IP or your VPN IP is active. But are there other ways how to check if my VPN is working? And the answer is: yes, of course.
Doing the extended IP leak VPN test
An extended IP test is a more detailed analysis for a VPN detection leak and the browser. Different websites such as ipleak.net or whoer.net carry out this test. It checks your Flash, Java, and DNS to ensure they are not leaking your IP or DNS.
The extended IP test searches all the sources within your browser and displays the IP detected. This makes certain that no other IP address is detected or only the Virtual Private Network IP address appears. If the VPN IP address doesnt show up, there is a leak, and your VPN is not working.
Theres a way to avoid all the hassle by choosing a leak-free VPN service with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Recommended Reading: How To Change Country In Google Play Store
Remedies To Try If Your VPN Isnt Working
OK, you have tried all the obvious options, and your VPN solution still doesnt seem to be working, so what should you do next? Here is a list of 9 additional actions that you can take to ensure better the underlying technology surrounding your VPN is working correctly. Remember, there could be other issues outside the VPN preventing it from connecting successfully, such as the following nine possibilities.
How To Check If Your VPN Is Working
Is your new VPN leaking your data or giving an unreliable connection? Well show you how to perform a VPN test and check if your VPN is working properly to hide your IP address and protect your info. Then, find out why its important to protect yourself with a reliable VPN like Avast SecureLine VPN.
Don’t Miss: Best Free VPN For Mac 2016
How To Fix Your VPN Speed Problems
You have a few options when it comes to fixing any speed problems with your virtual private network. Remember, while you can try these options, your VPN can only run as fast as your ISP allows.
- Scan for malware. If your device is infected with malicious software, it could be eating up its resources and slowing it down. This one is a quick fix just try a virus removal tool and see if that helps your speed.
- Close all of your apps. The more apps or programs you have open, the more resources you are using up. Try to close all of these, or at least as many as you can, and see if that helps. Some programs may be using up more resources than others, so taking a look at the task manager on your computer may be helpful.
- Attempt a wired connection. Ethernet, or a physical cable connection, is usually faster than a Wi-Fi connection. Your speed will most likely increase once you make this switch. Even if slow Wi-Fi is something you need to eventually address, this method is great to use in emergencies.
- Change servers. Try to connect to different servers to determine if your speed changes. Depending on your VPN provider, you may also have an option for your VPN to connect you to whatever the fastest server is at the time.
- Disconnect then reconnect. Last but not least, there is always the tried and true turning it off and then on again. While this may not be the solution, its always worth a try.
What Is A VPN
A VPN, or a virtual private network, establishes a network connection that is protected while using public networks. Think of public networks like the internet you can access in public space, like the free Wi-Fi at coffee shops or fast-food restaurants. These networks are more dangerous to use compared to the Wi-Fi you have at home. This is because the number of people who have access to public Wi-Fi is larger than people who can access your private network. Therefore, more people have access to the information you are making available while using the network.
Even if you only access a public Wi-Fi network to check your email or do some quick online shopping quickly, the risk is still very much there. However, a VPN will hide your IP address from potential hackers. An IP Address is a unique set of characters that identifies a device on a local network or internet. This allows the internet to differentiate between websites, routers, and computers. Think of it as an address to your house its a unique identifier associated with you.
If someone with ill intent gets access to you to your IP address, like through a public Wi-Fi connection, they can potentially have access to your personal information. However, a VPN is designed to protect you and your information in such a scenario.
Also Check: Pokemon Go VPN Android
How Can I Check My VPN For A Webrtc Leak
Even if you dont use live streaming or visit sharing sites often, its still a good idea to check for a WebRTC leak every once in a while.
My VPN Still Isnt Workingwhat Now
If youve performed the VPN tests above and youre still having issues, there are a handful of other reasons why your VPN isnt working properly.
- Faulty or offline server: If youre dealing with a faulty server, it might be because the server is overloaded or your ISP is almost out of bandwidth. You can do a quick test to check your VPN speed for free here. You can also try connecting to a different server.
- Your ISP or country is blocking your VPN: Some countries have strict online censorship in place, which can result in a blocked VPN. In China, for example, only a few government-approved VPNs are legal.
- Dropped VPN connection: Most VPNs come with an automatic kill switch that terminates your internet connection if your VPN connection drops. The kill switch is to prevent you from accessing web pages while youre not connected to your VPN, keeping your personal information secure.
- Port or protocol issue: Similar to a faulty server, the issue may be tied to your port or internet protocol. You can contact your ISP customer support to troubleshoot this.
- VPN software issue: If its none of the above, the issue is likely tied to the VPN itself. You can contact customer support, or switch VPN providers entirely.
Also Check: Does Xfinity Offer VPN Service