Installing Nordvpn On Android
This tutorial will teach you how to install and use NordVPN on Android.
First, download and install the NordVPN mobile app on your Android device.
As generating and remembering strong and secure passwords is not an easy task, we recommend downloading a free password manager, like NordPass. It generates secure passwords for you and stores them safely, letting you avoid time-wasting password resets in the future.NordPass offers native apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS, so you can reach your passwords whenever and wherever you need them, even offline.
Surfshark: The Ultimate Premium Budget VPN For Android
A premium budget VPN? Is that even possible? Thanks to Surfshark we know it is! Surfshark shows this unlikely formula of premium quality and affordability can also be applied to Android. After all, Surfshark offers some of the most reliable encryption protocols around, among which OpenVPN and OpenVPN . These protocols are viewed by many experts as two of the safest , fastest and most efficient encryption protocols.
As such, Surfshark offers great speeds, whether youre browsing, streaming, downloading, or even gaming. Moreover, Surfshark offers some great extra features, some of which are normally only offered by pricier competitors. For instance, Surfshark offers a kill switch, static IP-addresses, double VPN connections and a white-listing feature. All of this comes at a price of only $1.99 with Surfshark.
Lastly, Surfshark is one of very few VPN providers which allow you to use one subscription on as many devices as you like. As such, Surfshark allows you to enjoy all of a VPNs advantages on all of your devices!
What To Look For When Choosing A VPN Provider
Okay, now that weve convinced you that a VPN on your iPhone or Android is a good idea, you need to pick a VPN provider. Do a quick internet search, and youll realize that theres no shortage of options some are free, and some have monthly service charges. While using a free mobile VPN may be tempting, they usually have some limits which can frustrate you. But free mobile VPNs are a good way to try a VPN service in order to select which one you want to buy.
How do you narrow the field? Here are some questions to consider as you research mobile VPN providers:
Is the connection secure?
What encryption method does the VPN provider use? A good VPN will likely use 256-bit encryption and a stronger protocol like OpenVPN , while a free service may use a lower level of protection. Some free VPNs dont actually use any encryption at all: these might be good for unblocking content, but theyre not good for security.
Is the VPN provider logging your activity?
If your number one goal for a VPN is privacy, then you want to make sure that the service you choose does not keep a log of your activity. Check privacy policies of the products you are considering and see what you are comfortable with.
How does the company make money?
How fast is the connection? How many servers does it have?
Are there usage caps?
Also Check: How To Install 911
What Is A VPN Service
A Virtual Private Network is a service that allows you to locate your IP address elsewhere than at home. Again at the same time VPN allows you to encrypt the data that circulates between your device and the VPN server. As a result, your real IP address becomes invisible to the services you access.
Tracking is possible anywhere in the world as long as your service provider has a server there. That is to say, that, for example, you can adopt an IP address from a server located in New York, even if you live in Dubai. Once connected to this server, as you now have a US IP address , you can, for example, access the US IPNetflix catalog.
So much for the little reminder, a VPN is cool. It serves a lot of things. Besides, its use should really be part of your moves. Today were going to take a look at the different VPN connection methods on smartphones.
Types Of VPN Encryption
Here are the oft-encountered encryption types.
PPTPPPTP is the most basic 128-bit encryption that offers entry-level security. It is fast and easy to set up and can bypass geo-restrictions.The PureVPN app works on Windows, Mac OS, and iOS. Additionally, manual setup is supported on Android, Linux, Router, Qnap, Raspberry Pi, and Synology NAS.
L2TPL2TP offers the highest encryption level. Data integrity is double verified. The downside is that it is rather slow and puts a lot of strain on the devices processor. L2TP can bypass geo-restrictions.PureVPN support is available on Windows, Mac OS, and iOS. Manual setup is supported on all three platforms plus Android.
SSTPSSTP uses 256-bit encryption, the highest available at the moment. SSTP includes SSL encryption and thoroughly verifies data before sending and receiving. This encryption excels at privacy and security. On the downside, it is somewhat slow.PureVPN support is available for Windows and Mac OS. Additionally, you can set it up manually on Linux. There is no support for Android and iOS.
IKEv2The 256-bit IKEv2 method is a champ in speed and security. It is the closest thing to complete web anonymity.PureVPN supported platform includes Windows, Mac OS, and iOS. Manual setup is supported on Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Blackberry, and Windows Phone. Linux and Raspberry Pi have been left out.
Read Also: VPN For At& t
How To Setup A VPN Without An App On Android
While the easiest and best way to put a VPN on your Android device is by downloading the app, Android has built-in settings that will make it easy to install a VPN without an app.
The basic VPN setup on Android is simple and can be done in a few easy steps. However, not every VPN can be installed without an app, and those that do have some limitations. ExpressVPN, for example, only allows for L2TP protocol without the app. Youd have to download the app to benefit from all the features.
How To Connect To An Existing VPN Network
If your workplace uses a VPN to login to its network, dont despair! Its also easy to connect to a pre-existing VPN network with Android.
All you need to do is ask your network administrator for the VPN networks name, type, server address, and your login credentials.
1. Open your phones settings, and tap Wireless & Networks.
2. Select VPN, and then click Add VPN Profile.
3. Enter the VPN networks information as given to you by your network administrator, then hit save.
4. On the next screen, tap the name of the VPN profile you just created.
5. Enter your login credentials and hit connect. Youre done!
Recommended Reading: 911.re Setup Download
How To Setup VPN On Galaxy Note 4
- Press the App button that appears on the Homescreen
- Now swap the menu, until you find the Settings tab
- Now look for the option of More Networks
- Then select VPN
- You will be presented with Basic VPN and Advanced IP Sec options
- Tap on any of them and enter the username, password, and other details provided to you by the VPN provider
Setting Up A VPN On Iphone
Don’t Miss: How To Unsubscribe From Expressvpn
Find And Install Nordvpn On Your Android Device
Instead, jump over to the Google Play app and search for NordVPN. Youll find it listed thusly:
Youve done this before: Tap to Install and, when its downloaded and installed, tap to launch it.
Time to either log in if you already have an account or sign up to get started:
As I write this, the current pricing for NordVPN is either $11.99/mo or if you want to pay in advance, $83.76 for 24 months , though the company is always running promos dropping the price even further.
I already have an account and have enabled two-factor authentication for NordVPN, of course so tap on Log In to proceed.
Since I do have 2FA set up, the Android app prompts me to check in the Authenticator app for my secret code:
Once I correctly enter the constantly changing 6-digit code, Im logged in and actually ready to go!
What To Consider When Choosing A VPN Service
Consider the following when choosing a VPN service.Casual browsing. For secure casual browsing on public Wi-Fi networks, a basic VPN app will do just fine. Consider an upgrade to a high-performance app if youre streaming HD video.
Geo-shifting.To watch a YouTube video thats blocked in your country, youll need a VPN service that has a server located in a country where the video is available.File sharing on torrent sites. For this, you might want to consider a quality VPN service that can give you a foreign IP address.Sensitive data protection. Youll want a VPN service that offers maximum privacy and doesnt keep logs. However, many so-called no-logs VPN services actually do keep them.
Don’t Miss: How To Get VPN On Smart TV
Why You Need A VPN For Android
Our most recent VPN consumer report found that people use VPNs for a variety of reasons, regardless of their device type. For Androids specifically, you might want to use a VPN for one or more of the following reasons:
- General security and privacy: VPNs encrypt your web activity and device IP addresses, hiding what you do online.
- Less risk on public Wi-Fi networks: While connecting to public Wi-Fi networks is convenient, it can leave you susceptible to hacking, as your private IP addresses will be visible. However, thats not the case if youre connected to an Android VPN, keeping you safe online.
- Access to private school or work networks: Many schools or organizations have private networks, but if youre at home, youll need a VPN to access them. The best Android VPNs have split tunneling, so you can be on a private network and your Wi-Fi at the same time.
- Ability to bypass restrictions: Internet censorship is rampant in countries like China and Russia, along with schools and workplaces around the world. VPNs can help you bypass these restrictions so you can surf the web freely. Learn more about the best VPNs for Hong Kong.
- Secure VoIP calls: Having a secret conversation? VPNs can secure Voice over Internet Protocol calls, a technology that lets users make calls over broadband internet rather than a landline.3
- Torrent: Using VPNs for torrenting means that you can download anything you want without your internet service provider knowing.
How To Connect A VPN To Android Using Apps
The easiest way to connect a VPN on Android is to sign up for a plan with a company that provides its own mobile app. These apps are typically available in the Google Play Store and only require you to sign in to the account you created when subscribing. Once signed in, connecting to the VPN only requires tapping a button or switch, then toggling it back off when you no longer want to connect. As well, these apps make it simple to switch between different regions and servers offered by the provider.
The exact process for connecting to a VPN on Android will vary based on which service you sign up for, though the apps all work in the same general way:
1. Download your VPN provider’s Android app from the Google Play Store. You can find the app by either looking for a download link on the provider’s website or by searching for its name in the app store.
2. Once the app is installed, launch it for the first time. You’ll be prompted to enter your sign-in credentials, such as a username and password.
3. Enter your credentials, then, if necessary, complete the security challenge, such as entering a verification code sent in a text message.
4. Now that you’re signed in to the app, you can tap the “Connect” button or switch to connect with the VPN.
Also Check: How To VPN To Another Country
Installing A VPN On Your Router
Installing a VPN on your router is not completely risk-free. After all, this involves altering a little bit of fiddling with your routers firmware, also called flashing. If this isnt done properly, it could damage your router. Therefore, always make sure to follow our instructions to avoid any major issues.
Installing A VPN On Android Using A VPN App
Using a dedicated Android app is, in our opinion, the easiest and fastest way to install and configure a VPN on Android. Hence this is what recommend we to Android users. However, do make sure your VPN offers a dedicated Android app if youre going down this route. After all, not all VPN providers do. However, virtually all popular VPN providers have a decent or even a good Android app these days.
Are you unsure what the best VPN app for your Android device is? Have a look at the section that deals with this further down in the article or, if you want to start using a VPN right away, choose one of our top 5 VPN providers. All of the VPNs on this list offer a great app for Android.
Now without further ado, read the short guide below to find out how to setup a VPN on your Android device using a dedicated app from the Google Play Store.
1. Get a subscription and an account with your preferred VPN provider.
2. Download your VPN providers Android app from the Google Play Store.
3. Install the app.
4. Open the app. A message will probably appear, in which the app asks you for permission to create a VPN connection to your device. Click allow or yes .
5. Log in with the VPN service. You have probably received an email by now from your VPN service containing login instructions and/or you will probably have created a password yourself. Use these details to log into the VPN service.
7. Choose a server location and a server to connect to.
Do I Need To Download A VPN App For My Android Phone
Installing a VPN app on your Android is never a bad idea. It will not only make browsing safer, particularly when logged into public Wi-Fi networks, but also allow you to access content restricted to specific regions. And the best VPNs won’t bog down your device’s memory, either.
Before you go ahead and download the app, though, you need to ask yourself how often youll need to use it. If youre a regular traveler, keen to access content available at home on the go, or someone that frequently connects to unsecured Wi-Fi networks, then we’d seriously suggest you download an app.
Installing An Android VPN Without Using An App
Most VPN providers these days offer applications for many different operating systems, including Android. However, this is not true for all VPN providers. Moreover, you might prefer installing a VPN on your router, because you want to connect all of your devices to the VPN. Unfortunately, many VPN services do not offer an application that supports this . Finally, there are also people whod simply rather set up a VPN manually, for whatever reason.
In any event, whatever your reason to not use a VPN app, below youll find three other ways to set up a VPN connection on Android.
You May Like: Best Free VPN For Mac 2016
Do I Need A VPN On My Phone
Yes, you do need to use a VPN on your Android smartphone.
When youre out and about you probably connect to public WiFi.
Public WiFi is notoriously insecure, leaving your personal data vulnerable to hackers.
If you want to keep your personal information safe and secure you need to use a VPN.
VPNs encrypt all of your Androids internet traffic, preventing snooping third parties from seeing what youre doing online.
In addition to the privacy benefits, using a VPN on your phone helps you to unlock restricted or censored content.
Libraries, schools, and governments block certain websites. VPNs lets you access those websites securely and privately.