How To Create A VPN Server On Windows 10 Pc
In order to create a VPN server on your Windows PC, you need to open the Network Connections window first. Heres how to do that.
Step 1. Press Win + R keys to call out the Run dialog box, and then type ncpa.cpl in the box and hit Enter.
Step 2. In the Network Connections window, press the Alt key to display the full menus. Then click the File menu and select the New Incoming Connection option from the sub-menu.
Step 3. In all listed user accounts, select the account that can connect remotely and click the Next button.
Step 4. Select the checkbox of Through the Internet to allow VPN connection over the Internet and click Next to go on.
Step 5. Now, you can select a Network software that can access the incoming connections and click the Allow access button.
Step 6. Now Windows will access the user account that you chose automatically. After that, your VPN server should run as normal.
Next, lets see how to setup a VPN on Windows 10 PC.
What Are The Benefits Of A VPN Connection
A VPN connection disguises your data traffic online and protects it from external access. Unencrypted data can be viewed by anyone who has network access and wants to see it. With a VPN, hackers and cyber criminals cant decipher this data.
Secure encryption: To read the data, you need an encryption key . Without one, it would take millions of years for a computer to decipher the code in the event of a brute force attack . With the help of a VPN, your online activities are hidden even on public networks.
Disguising your whereabouts : VPN servers essentially act as your proxies on the internet. Because the demographic location data comes from a server in another country, your actual location cannot be determined. In addition, most VPN services do not store logs of your activities. Some providers, on the other hand, record your behavior, but do not pass this information on to third parties. This means that any potential record of your user behavior remains permanently hidden.
Secure data transfer: If you work remotely, you may need to access important files on your companys network. For security reasons, this kind of information requires a secure connection. To gain access to the network, a VPN connection is often required. VPN services connect to private servers and use encryption methods to reduce the risk of data leakage.
Troubleshooting Connections Dynamic Vs Static Ip Addresses
Static IP addresses are just that, static. They never change, so pointing your VPN to the static IP address is a set-it-and-forget-it task. Dynamic IP addresses change. Thus, your connection will break periodically, causing needless concern and an extra step in determining and entering your new IP address.
If your ISP provides dynamic IP addresses, you have a few options: Live with it and adjust your VPN settings accordingly. Pay your ISP for a static IP address. Order a domain name and dynamic Domain Name Server that points to your office. The dynamic DNS detects your IP address changes and then updates itself so that it provides the correct IP address to your VPN connection. There may be a delay, however.
Once set up, your authorized users can connect to the VPN and your entire office network remotely. Imagine going on a business trip and being able to remotely and securely access your network.
Finally, make sure to update your human resources procedures to ensure that whenever an employee leaves your company, VPN access is promptly revoked.
Need help addressing access and security for your office network? In New Jersey, Quikteks can help. Contact us to schedule a free network security assessment.
Recommended Reading: Mcafee Livesafe VPN Review
Find A Setup Tutorial
If, for some reason, your VPN provider doesn’t offer software for the devices your business uses, check the provider’s website for guides on manual setup. Hopefully, you’ll find the documentation you need. If you don’t, search for other providers’ setup guides that use the same devices.
For example, if your business uses Chromebooks, you can search for tutorials specifically for these devices.
How To Set Up The Windows 10 Built
Can be confusing if you’re not tech-savvy
Weve seen a rise in Virtual Private Network usage over the last few years and the trend doesnt seem to be slowing. More and more folks are wanting to get around region blocks, remote securely into their office network from the comfort of home, and play online games with servers located in different countries. With a VPN, this is all too easy.
The issues arise once you go looking for the right VPN. Which is the most efficient? The most secure? Do I go for a free setup or subscription plan? Figuring this sort of thing out can take up valuable time you simply dont have. So why not create and connect to your own VPN?
Windows comes with the built-in ability to function as a VPN server, free of charge. It does this by using the point-to-point tunneling protocol and can be confusing to set up if youre not too tech-savvy.
But to help you avoid the obstacle of finding the perfect VPN well go ahead and walk you through how to set up and use Windows 10s built-in VPN service.
Recommended Reading: Is Urban VPN Safe
How Do You Set Up A VPN Server
Installing a secure VPN server begins with identifying the operating system your business uses and then carefully following key steps to ensure the connection is live and stable.
Here are Yonatan’s step-by-step instructions for setting up a VPN server for the most common operating systems.
Setting up a VPN server on Windows 10 PC
Changing Dns On Your Router
This will use the DNS on all devices connected to your router
1. Go to your routers settings. If you dont know how then follow these steps otherwise go to step 2.Open the command prompt by pressing windows/command key + R then type cmd enter or click the start button and search for cmd.
In the command prompt type, ipconfig/all and press enter. Look for the address labeled Default Gateway and copy the numbers.
Paste that address into your browser. In my case, its 192.168.0.1 then login with your username / password. If you didnt make one try admin for the user and password for the password. If that fails Google the name of your router and the user/pass.
2. Find the DNS settings. This can vary from router to router and you may have to Google how to do this for your particular router. Youll want to find something like DNS Override, there should be 23 inputs for DNS addresses. Put the addresses you want to use here.
3. Save your settings and reset your router by unplugging it for 10 seconds then plugging it back in.
Don’t Miss: Ipvanish Install On Firestick
How To Choose The Right VPN Server
Sometimes you might not want to be connected to the server the VPN app recommends. Perhaps you want to spoof your location, use BitTorrent via VPN, or take advantage of custom servers. Or maybe the server the app recommends just doesn’t work or is very slow. Whatever the reason, the best VPNs will let you quickly and easily jump to a different VPN server.
Sometimes, VPN apps present their servers in lengthy menus or pull-down lists. The best VPN services will include search bars and highlight servers for specific activitiessuch as streaming and BitTorrenting. Many VPN companies include an interactive map as part of their app. TunnelBear and NordVPN, for example, let you click on countries to connect to servers there.
Choosing a server depends entirely on what you want to accomplish. For better speeds, you should choose a nearby server. To access region-locked content, you’ll want a server that’s local to content you want to watch. If you’re trying to watch the BBC, you’ll want to tunnel to the UK. To bypass government censorship, choose a server in a country different from your own .
Some VPN companies have specialized servers for streaming video. These specialized servers are useful because streaming services such as Netflix block VPNs. At issue are the licensing deals Netflix secures with studios, which provide different content for different regions.
Connect To A VPN With A Windows System
The connection process is different depending on your variant of Windows system:
Thats how you can set up a VPN connection on a Windows device.
Also Check: Spectrum Router VPN Setup
Changing Domain Name Servers
Your DNS can leak some information and there are other reasons to change it.
1. There are a few options, we will be looking at OpenDNS and Google public DNS. Choose which one you prefer Ill be using Open DNS in this tutorial.
Open DNS: 188.8.131.52 | 184.108.40.206Google DNS: 220.127.116.11 | 18.104.22.168
2. Decide if you only want to change your computers DNS or for every device on your network. I will cover both.
Getting To Your Router Configuration
Every router is a little bit different, but most Linksys routers follow a similar pattern when it comes to login and making changes to the configuration. That process is also similar to what you’ll find on most other router brands, too, so it’s a good example for this article. The first thing to do is figure out what your router’s Internet Protocol address is. To do this on Microsoft Windows 10, click the Start menu and type in Command Prompt and click Enter. Then type in ipconfig and click Enter again. You should see the same thing as in the screen shot below, though with different address numbers. Your router’s IP address will be listed as the Default Gateway. Here, that’s 192.168.13.1.
Next, open your browser and type in your router’s IP address as the URL . That’ll get you to a login prompt for your router’s administration console. If you’ve never changed the username and password for your router, then looking up your router model on the Linksys website should lead you to a support page where the default credentials are listed. If it’s not Linksys, then just find your original installation instructions from when you first installed the router and the default credentials will be there. If that document is long gone, then head over to your router maker’s website and find the instructions for setting your router back to factory defaults. The default credentials should be there, too. If that doesn’t work, you’ll need to call your router’s support line and ask.
Don’t Miss: Uverse VPN
VPN On Your Router: Pros And Cons
- Always-on security and privacy. With a router VPN, youll always be connected to the VPN server. Youll never forget to secure yourself because youll be part of the VPN protection as long as your router is working. If any of your devices initiate any automatic connections, like account balance updates for a personal finance app, they will be secured even if youre sleeping.
- Comprehensive home security. That always-on VPN server connection will apply to every device connected to your home router VPN. It will cover new devices you get with no additional setup, and it will even cover your guests when they visit and ask for your WiFi password.
- Covers devices that dont support VPNs. There are plenty of WiFi-connected devices that dont support VPN coverage on their own but could certainly benefit from it. Security is always essential, no matter what device you’re using.
- Connect more devices. NordVPN allows you to connect up to 6 devices, which is already more than enough for most users. But did you know that your NordVPN-enabled router counts as only one device? If your laptop, smartphone, and desktop PC all connect over your VPN-enabled router, thats still technically only one device connected. Its not a good idea to abuse this feature because your connection speed and stability may suffer, but its an easy way to expand the number of devices your NordVPN subscription covers.
Why Should You Use A VPN
Since many businesses are shifting their employees to remote work, it’s more important than ever to invest in VPNs to ensure data security.
Working remotely requires employees to access sensitive data through potentially unsecured network connections. Using a VPN service for your workforce can help protect your business from these exposed risks and vulnerabilities.
Using a VPN should be a top concern and practice for both businesses and individual internet users, especially when using public internet connections such as Wi-Fi at a coffee shop or airport, according to Caleb Chen, editor of Privacy News Online for Private Internet Access.
“Even if you’re not on a public Wi-Fi network and just using the internet via a LAN cable at your home or office, your internet activity is still being snooped on and sold to third parties,” Chen said. “This is because internet service providers in the United States successfully lobbied the government to pass a law getting rid of internet privacy protections for internet users in 2017.”
Browsing the web or accessing private company information on an unsecured network means you could be placing yourself and your data at risk by inadvertently revealing browsing habits and important data. Nidhi Joshi, a business consultant for iFour Technolab Pvt. Ltd., says that using a VPN can:
Recommended Reading: Att Uverse VPN Issues
Setting Up A VPN In Android
Like iOS, setting up a VPN on an Android device shouldnt be too difficult. Heres the manual process if youre not letting an app automatically configure things for you.
- Head into Settings > Network & Internet > Advanced > VPN . If you dont see Network & Internet in the Settings menu , then do a search within Settings for VPN. Press the Add button.
- If you happen to be setting this up on a new phone, or if you havent yet set a screen lock or password, Google will prompt you to first set one for your phone. Do so.
- Now create your VPN profile. Add the VPN name, type, and Server address. Click on Save.
- Youll be taken back to the VPN screen, where you should now see the name of your VPN. Tap on it, and put in your name and password. You can also choose to save your account information, and you can make the VPN always on. Click on Connect.
- Enter the VPN name, type, server address, username, and password.
- Then, save. Youre done!
Once youve got your VPN up and running, you might notice web browsing isnt as fast as it used to be, especially if youve configured traffic to go through another country. Stronger encryption, or more users connected to one VPN, can also slow down your internet speeds. Downloads might slow to snail speed and your League of Legends screen lag might be absurd. But thats not a big problem compared to the security that youve added.
Is A VPN Really So Secure
It is important to note that VPNs do not function like comprehensive anti-virus software. While they protect your IP and encrypt your internet history, a VPN connection does not protect your computer from outside intrusion. To do this, you should definitely use anti-virus software such as Kaspersky Internet Security . Because using a VPN on its own does not protect you from Trojans, viruses, bots or other malware.
Once the malware has found its way onto your device, it can steal or damage your data, whether you are running a VPN or not. It is therefore important that you use a VPN together with a comprehensive anti-virus program to ensure maximum security.
You May Like: How To Setup VPN On Att Uverse Router
How To Install A VPN Connection On Your Smartphone
As already mentioned, there are also VPN connections for Android smartphones and iPhones. Fortunately, smartphone VPN services are easy to use and generally include the following:
- The installation process usually only downloads one app from the iOS App Store or Google Play Store. Although free VPN providers exist, its wise to choose a professional provider when it comes to security.
- The setup is extremely user-friendly, as the default settings are already mostly designed for the average smartphone user. Simply log in with your account. Most apps will then guide you through the key functions of the VPN services.
- Switching on the VPN literally works like a light switch for many VPN apps. You will probably find the option directly on the home screen.
- Server switching is usually done manually if you want to fake your location. Simply select the desired country from the offer.
- Advanced setup is available for users requiring a higher degree of data protection. Depending on your VPN, you can also select other protocols for your encryption method. Diagnostics and other functions may also be available in your app. Before you subscribe, learn about these features to find the right VPN for your needs.
- In order to surf the internet safely from now on, all you have to do is first activate the VPN connection through the app.