Why You Should Not Use Your Own VPN Server
Since you know everything about setting a VPN server and how it can be beneficial, you should also know about its drawbacks. Have a look at what they are:
- You cannot browse content from all over the world. For example, if you are connected to the United States location on your VPN client, you will only be able to search within the United States territory.To search in other countries, you will have to change your location from the VPN app. Also, it limits your access. You cant even search for content in your country. Only the results available in the US will show.
- Setting up a VPN server is haphazardous. Though VPN is available for every device and operating system, setting it up on a new device will be extra work.
- VPN does not always give you continuous anonymity. Many VPN services use a shared IP address. So if you are using a server, multiple other users can also access the same server. If any other user manages to tie up the IP address with your account, you are not staying anonymous.
Why You Might Want To Do This
A home VPN gives you an encrypted tunnel to use when on public Wi-Fi, and can even allow you to access country-specific services from outside the countryeven from an Android, iOS device, or a Chromebook. The VPN would provide secure access to your home network from anywhere. You could even allow access to other people, making it easy to give them access to servers youre hosting on your home network. This would allow you to play PC games designed for a LAN over the Internet, tooalthough there are easier ways to set up a temporary network for PC gaming.
VPNs are also useful for connecting to services when traveling. For example, you could use the US version of Netflix or other streaming sites when traveling outside the US.
You Are An Avid Gamer
Setting up a VPN will give you a secure network you can use to host multiplayer PC games. Usually, these types of gaming sessions would be done over a LAN internet connection, but with your own VPN, you can be your own host. There are simpler ways of achieving a temporary PC gaming network, but with a VPN in place, you get an added security boost.
Recommended Reading: How To Setup VPN On Samsung TV
First Step: Setting Up Your Openvpn Access Server On Azure
This part is surprisingly easy, in the Azure Marketplace, you will find an offering called OpenVPN Access Server, ready to deploy. This is a pre hardened VM with everything you need. You may argue that there may be unwanted services running, you can always chose to set up a plain OS and manually install OpenVPN Access server, i will do a guide on how to do it sometime soon.
So we start by creating that VM, when you login in to Azure, go to “Marketplace” and search for “OpenVPN Access Server”
Select the OpenVPN Access Server, and on the next page, click create
Fill out all the required values, for SSH i chose password here, you may want to use Keys instead.
Subscription, Resource Group, VM name, Region: Chose your preferred Values
Image: Leave it at the default value
Size: Leave the selected value if its for your personal use only
Select “Next: Networking”
Leave all there as is but just make sure there is a Public IP assignment , all the remaining settings can stay as default, so on this page, click “Review + create”
You should see something similar to this, if the Validation has passed, you can click “Create”
Final screen will look like this, from here, just select “Go to resource” so we can get all teh details we need for the next steps:
Get the Public IP from this page, and ssh into the VM with the credentials or keys you created earlier. SSH is allowed in the network section by default but you can double check to be sure
You can now access the Admin URL
How To Turn On VPN On Windows 10 Computer
Microsoft Windows offers a built-in feature to create VPN servers however, the VPN protocol that it uses is not secure and also outdated. But you can set up your own VPN server with OpenVPN. Lets have a look at the steps in a jiffy:
Also Check: Is A VPN Necessary For Firestick
Should I Set Up A Home VPN Server
There are a few reasons you might want to set up a VPN server at home.
Firstly, if you need to access your local network while out and about, setting up your own VPN server at home is a good idea.
Hosting a VPN server in your home means that you can access files from your local network and stream Netflix or access other geo-restricted services while abroad.
If set up correctly, connecting to your own VPN while using public WiFi will help protect you from hackers looking to steal your personal information. The VPN encrypts internet traffic between the client and the server.
You also know who owns the servers youre using. This should make it more transparent as to what data and information being logged and stored.
But setting up your own VPN server at home isnt always recommended.
How To Create Your Own VPN
Youve probably seen the VPN ads around the internet lately, and including on our own website.
VPNs have increasingly become an important part of our day to day lives, not just for accessing content networks, but also to protect our privacy and security.
Not everybody wants to pay a 3rd VPN service, or maybe they just dont trust said party to keep their data secure.
After all, while a VPN service might say its no-log, it may very well keep simple enough logs that can pierce your veil of anonymity.
Therefore, creating your own VPN can certainly be an interesting solution to that problem. Of course, setting up your own VPN is not all rainbows and unicorns, and there are both upsides and downsides.
Also Check: Homepna Networking Uverse
How To Install Openvpn With Pivpn
OpenVPN is an open-source set of software that allows you to set up a VPN on just about any type of hardware. If you wanted, you could install OpenVPN’s Linux server on your Pi and tweak the configuration files manually, but there’s an easier solution. PiVPNis a set of open-source scripts that turn OpenVPN’s configuration into an easy-to-use wizard, so even if this if your first time working with OpenVPN, you shouldn’t have too much trouble getting it set up.
Install PiVPN in the Windows Terminal window
So boot up your Pi, make sure all software is up to date, and open a new Terminal window. Installing PiVPN is as simple as running the following command:
curl -L https://install.pivpn.io | bash
The script will take a few minutes to install OpenVPN, and then it’ll walk you through the configuration process. First, it will inform you that PiVPN requires a static IP address, so you can easily access your VPN server when you’re out and about. If you set up a DHCP reservation, you can just say Yes when PiVPN asks if you’re using one.
After choosing your user , PiVPN will ask whether you want to use WireGuard, a new VPN protocol, or OpenVPN. I’m using OpenVPN for this guide, so use the arrow keys to move the cursor to OpenVPN, then press Space to select it before pressing Enter to continue.
WireGuard is fairly new, and shows a lot of promise, while OpenVPN is more popular and widely supported. If you want to give WireGuard a try, you can read more about it here.
Name your client
Why Might I Need A Personal VPN Server
Making a personal VPN server is key to maintaining your privacy online. Every time you use a public WiFi network like in a coffee shop or hotel, you have no idea where your browsing data may be routed to.
When you create your own VPN server, the network you connect to will only see the connection established between your computer and your ServerMania server. This connection is encrypted, and the local network won’t have any idea what sites you are accessing.
Even when connected to your local ISP, you can’t be certain what browsing data your provider may release to third parties. By using a VPN, you can be assured that this data is secure.
Don’t Miss: How To Setup VPN On Fios Quantum Router
Find A Setup Tutorial
If, for some reason, your VPN provider doesn’t offer software for the devices your business uses, check the provider’s website for guides on manual setup. Hopefully, you’ll find the documentation you need. If you don’t, search for other providers’ setup guides that use the same devices.
For example, if your business uses Chromebooks, you can search for tutorials specifically for these devices.
Establishing A VPN Server In Windows 10 Using Openvpn
Install Open VPN
The first step of this method is downloading the OpenVPN installer for Windows directly from the Open VPN website. When you start the installation, make sure to do the custom installation and select EasyRSA 2 Certificate Management Scripts.
Configure EasyRSA to generate certificates and keys
Now we have prepared easyrsa for generating certificates and keys.
Generating certificate and keys
The next thing we have to do is to create the server and client certificates and keys. For that, execute the following commands one by one. First, build Certificate authority to sign the other certificates and keys.
1. ./easyrsa build-ca nopass
Build certificate and keys for server and clients as follows:
2. ./easyrsa build-server-full server nopass3. ./easyrsa build-client-full Client1 nopass
Create Diffie-Hellman parameters
4. ./easyrsa gen-dh
After executing these steps, you can find the keys, certificate files, and Diffie-Hellman Parameters in the following folders.
C:/Program Files/OpenVPN/easy-rsa/pki ca.crt and dh.pem
C:/Program Files/OpenVPN/easy-rsa/pki/private server and client keys
C:/Program Files/OpenVPN/easy-rsa/pki/issued server and client certificates
Configure OpenVPN server
Connect to the VPN server
You May Like: Do VPNs Slow Your Internet
Disadvantage To Setting Up Your Own VPN
Of course, there are certain disadvantages to setting up your own VPN as well, the top of which being:
No unlocking geoblocked content
Probably the biggest reason people want to use a virtual private network, is because it allows them access to content that is blocked on services like Netflix.
Read more about it on how to get American Netflix in Australia.
The way most VPNs work is that they have a server in a specific country you want to gain access through, and you connect to that server making that service believe youre from that country.
Now, if you already have a home in another country and its a relatively easy thing to set up a VPN server there, no problem, but ultimately the cost of setting up servers across the globe, even simple ones, wont be as cheap as just subscribing to a VPN, or even using a free VPN.
Related Read:Best VPNs for Netflix
No Protection through IP Sharing
One big positive of using a VPN with other people and several servers, is that it can obfuscate your actions because a lot of people share your IP.
If you instead chose to set up your own VPN and use it completely on you own, any traffic pattern analysis application will probably be able to detect that its you. Even worse, if your IP is connected to your real name, then any anonymity you had goes out the window.
Dealing with the hassle of setting up a VPN
That means youll end up doing a lot of tweaking and workarounds to get it working on whichever devices you chose to use.
Reasons Not To Setup Your Own VPN
While there are some good reasons to set up your own VPN, there are also a lot of reasons not to do so. These include:
- You dont have a fast Internet connection You need both fast upload and download speeds wherever your VPN Server is located or it will slow down everything connected to your personal VPN.
- You need a VPN to connect to resources in other geographic locations VPN Services with multiple servers let you make it appear you are located in any of dozens, even hundreds of locations around the world. Since your VPN would have only one server you can only appear to be located in one place.
- You want to hide your IP Address If you build your VPN Server on your own hardware, it will have an IP Address associated with your home network.
- You dont want to handle the maintenance It falls on you to maintain and update the VPN Server as well as the hardware and software it runs on.
- You have to have the technical ability to set up the VPN Server and clients.
- You want to hide your payment and identity information fully. The VPN you setup yourself might be safe from logging, but if you purchased the server you tunnel through, with your real name and payment details you are much more vulnerable than using a VPN service.
Read Also: Why Does My VPN Keep Turning Off
You Will Not Be As Secure
Because VPN companies use shared IP addresses, they can offer a high level of security. With a home VPN, this wont be an option. You will be restricted to just one IP address and so will lose that extra layer of security. Admittedly, you can frequently change the IP of your VPN server to avoid this issue, but that will result in even more work.
How To Make Your Own VPN Server Using A Dd
To connect to your VPN server by the DD-WRT feature of your router, you have to make sure that your DD-WRT build has the PPTP VPN functionality. If the PPTP feature is missing, then youll have to possibly flash your router with a DD-WRT build having the PPTP VPN feature.
- Go to your DD-WRT Configuration Page and head to Services.
- You will find the PPTP Server, if it is disabled, enable it.
- When you will enable the PPTP Server, you will unlock more options to set some parameters to your VPN.
- Fill the field of Server IP with the Public IP Address of your Router.
- For Client IP, fill the field with the IP Addresses of the clients who will have the access to connect to your VPN.
- CHAP-Secrets is used for the username and password while setting up the connection on your system. The username and password are both defined in a single line. Star symbols and spaces are there to separate them from each other.
- After filling the necessary field, save and apply the changes.
- After finishing up the DD-WRT configuration page settings, go to Control Panel.
- Go to Network and Sharing Center -> Set up a new connection or network -> Connect to a workplace -> Create a new connection -> Use my Internet Connection.
- You will be displayed a tab with fields to be filled. Fill in the field of Internet Address with the IP Address . Give your VPN a name by filling in Destination Name.
- If you want to verify it, type ipconfig in your command prompt.
You May Like: Expressvpn Lg Smart TV
Getting Started With A VPN
Once you’ve settled on a service, the first thing to do is to download the company’s app. There’s usually a Downloads page for this on the VPN service’s website. Go ahead and download the apps for your mobile devices as well: You’ll want to protect as many of your devices as you can. If the VPN service you’re considering doesn’t offer an app for the devices you use, consider finding a different service.
We have found that when releasing VPNs for Mac, companies occasionally have different versions available in the Mac App Store and on the company website. This appears to be for compliance with restrictions imposed by Apple. Figuring out which will work for you can be tricky, so be sure to read the company’s documentation carefully.
Once you’ve installed the apps, you’re usually prompted to enter your login information. In most cases, this is the username and password you created when you signed up for the service. Some companies, such as IVPN, Mullvad, and ExpressVPN have unusual login systems that provide customers with more privacy but can be confusing at first. Be sure to read the instructions carefully.
Once you’re logged in, your VPN app usually connects to the VPN server closest to your current location. That’s done to provide better speeds when using the VPN, as performance degrades the farther the VPN server is from your actual location. That’s it: Your information is now being securely tunneled to the VPN server.