Automatic VPN Configuration For Iphone
You need to install a VPN app to set up a VPN automatically. There are many different VPN services available, so your first step is to choose an app that meets your needs.
In this guide, we’ll choose Clario an all-in-one security app that lets you safeguard all aspects of your digital identity in real-time. However, the iPhone VPN setup steps are similar for whichever app you choose.
Heres how to automatically set up a VPN with Clario:
1. the Clario app.
2. Install the app.
3. Open the Clario app and create an account, or log in if you already have one.
4. Tap the button to complete the setup, and turn on VPN for private browsing.
5. Tap Allow when your iPhone asks your permission to add a VPN configuration for your device.
6. Enter your passcode if required to add the VPN configuration to your settings.
Once youve added the VPN, you wont have to open your app to use it.
Here’s how to turn on a VPN on your iPhone:
Openvpn Manual Setup On Ios Devices
Whilst we recommend our MPN VPN Manager app to automate the VPN connection on your Apple iOS devices , there are situations where the connection might fail. In this case, you can use our alternative VPN connection via the OpenVPN app by following the steps in this guide.
Remember, you need an existing internet connection to connect to My Private Network. Make sure your iPhone is connected to the internet and that you are able to browse the web.
Ios Openvpn Client Configuration
To successfully configure OpenVPN profile, follows these steps:
1. Import .ovpn and .ovpn12 files into your iOS device. In order to import them you have two methods, whose explanation is shown when you open OpenVPN app with no VPN profiles set, and they are the followings:
In this guide, e-mail method will be shown.
2. Send both .ovpn12 and .ovpn files to an e-mail which is accessible from the iOS device in use, then open the e-mail from the same device. Look for the attachments and tap on Tap to Download to download both files.
3. Tap on .ovpn12 file.
4. Tap on Copy to OpenVPN.
5. Tap on ADD under .ovpn12 file name.
6. Type the .ovpn12 certificate password, as configured on Endian UTM Appliance during client certificate creation, then tap on OK.
7. Go back to the e-mail with the VPN files into the attachments and select the .ovpn file.
8. Tap on Copy to OpenVPN.
9. Tap on ADD under .ovpn proposed profile name. Such name can be changed into the next step.
10. Type the profile name you prefer, then tap on None to expand the certificate list. From here, select your previously added .ovpn12 certificate and tap on ADD.
11. The following dialog window will appear, so tap on Allow.
12. Confirm VPN Configuration apply by using Touch ID or another security method set on your iOS device.
13. The OpenVPN profile now has been successfully imported. Tap on the gray slider to start the connection.
Don’t Miss: How To Install Expressvpn On Xfinity Router
Connect To Ikev2 L2tp/ipsec And Cisco Ipsec VPNs In Ios
If your VPN of choice doesnt offer an iOS app, you can set up a VPN using iOS built-in settings. Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad, tap the General category, and tap VPN near the bottom of the list. Tap Add VPN Configuration to add your first VPN settings to the phone or tablet. If you need to configure multiple VPNs, you can add them from this screen, too.
Select the IKEv2, IPSec, or L2TP option depending on the type of VPN you want to connect to. Enter your VPNs connection details on this screen to connect. If your VPN is provided by your workplace, it should provide you with these details.
If you have an OpenVPN server you want to connect to, skip this entire section and scroll down to the last part of an article. OpenVPN networks are handled in a different way.
Support for PPTP VPNs was removed in iOS 10. PPTP is an old, insecure protocol and you should use a different VPN protocol, if possible.
If you need to use certificate files to connect to the VPN, youll have to import those before you set up the VPN. If youre sent the certificate files via email, you can access them in the Mail app, tap the certificate file attachments, and import them. You could also locate them on a website in the Safari browser and tap them to import them.
Download The VPN Configuration Files
In Safari on your device, open this page and press the vpn_configuration.zip link at the bottom. Then press “Download” to download the VPN configuration files.
Press the downloads icon in the top right corner of Safari. Then press the file to view it in your Downloads folder in the Files app.
Press the vpn_configuration.zip file in your downloads folder to unzip it. Then press the unzipped file to open it.
You May Like: Best VPN For Tp-link Router
Desperately Needs Files App Integration
You can only import config files by opening up an attachment in the Apple Mail app or using iTunes Sync. I dont use Apples Mail app and who uses iTunes Sync in 2020? Please add support for importing FILES from the FILES app.Edit: OpenVPN has pointed out that you can copy config files from the Files app using the share button, but the Import Profile section of the app doesnt mention this as an option. It would be great if it did, but even better would be an option to import from Files in the OpenVPN app itself. Also, I get an error when trying to import config files with separate key files which unfortunately prevents me from connecting to some of my clients offices. Still, happy to see I dont need to use Apple Mail or iTunes Sync to import standalone config files.
How Do I Fix The Openvpn On Itunes Issue
To fix, go to View / Show Sidebar. When you import a .ovpn file using iTunes, make sure that all files referenced by the .ovpn file such as ca, cert, and key files are dropped at the same time into the iTunes file sharing window for the OpenVPN app. Profiles must be UTF-8 and under 256 KB in size.
You May Like: Tp-link Archer C7 VPN Setup
How To Manually Set Up A VPN On An Ios Device
iOS devices natively support the L2TP, IPSec, and IKEv2 protocols. To configure a VPN on your iPhone or iPad, go to: Settings > General > VPN > Add VPN Configuration > Type. Here you can select IKEv2, IPSec , or L2TP .
Then you need to fill in the required fields, which includes the server address you want to use from your VPN provider, your account name and password, and a remote ID or pre-shared key . If your VPN provider supports these protocols, you should be able to locate your remote ID or key in your account/customer profile. Then hit Done to connect. You will need to repeat these steps for every server you want to set up.
How to manually set up a VPN on an Android device
Android devices natively support L2TP/IPSec but not IKEv2. To set up L2TP/IPSec, go to: Settings > Wireless & networks > More > VPN
If you wish to use the IKEv2 protocol on an Android device, you will need to download a third-party software app like strongSwan VPN Client.
Install Openvpnvirtuelle Privates Netzwerk Ber Eine Bestehende Internetverbindung Wird Der Rechner Virtuell An Einen Anderen Ort Gesetzt Und Bekommt Alle Zugriffsmglichkeiten Als Ob Er Vor Ort Wre Nifty Connect
Install the app OpenVPNVirtuelle privates Netzwerk über eine bestehende Internetverbindung wird der Rechner virtuell an einen anderen Ort gesetzt und bekommt alle Zugriffsmöglichkeiten, als ob er vor Ort wäre. Nifty! Connect. You can find it like other apps in the AppStore.
Also Check: How To Get Around Netflix VPN Block
Openvpn For Iphone Installation Guide
This document will guide you through the installation process of OpenVPN for iPhone iOS. For other operating systems, visit here.
Remote access requires the use of Multi-Factor Authentication. If you haven’t set this up for your IAS account, please see our information page or contact the Computing Helpdesk for DuoSecurity before continuing.
1. Go to Apple App store. Download the OpenVPN Connect app.
2. With Safari, browse to
2. Login with your IAS username and password and press “Go”. Note: At this point, you will need to have DUO configured on one of your devices.
3. Scroll to the bottom and select “Yourself ” to download the client.ovpn profile to your device.
5. Open the OpenVPN app on your iPhone device
6. Import Profile
Note: If your DUO device IS this iOS device, you will need to write down the passcode prior to importing the profile.
- URL: Type “openvpn.ias.edu:
- Type in your user credential and then select “IMPORT”
How To Configure VPN On Iphone Or Ipad
Worried your identity could get compromised. Then you should use one of the best VPN services on your iPhone or iPad. If your company has a private intranet that you need access to while on the road, if you regularly use public Wi-Fi networks, or if you travel the globe and want your iPhone to think it’s still in your home country , a VPN will help you out. Here’s how to configure a VPN on iPhone.
Don’t Miss: Ipvanish Morning Invest
Find Out Your Openvpn Login Credentials
Your OpenVPN username and password are different to your ProtonVPN account username or password. To find them, log in to account.protonvpn.com and go to Account Username OpenVPN / IKEv2 username.
If you would like to use ourNetShield DNS filtering feature, append the suffix +f1 to your username to block malware, or +f2 to block malware, ads, and trackers .
How To Manually Configure A VPN On Your Iphone Or Ipad
With your login information on hand, you can manually configure a VPN client on your iPhone or iPad.
Under VPN Configurations, toggle the Status switch on.
Recommended Reading: Surfshark On Samsung Smart TV
Iphone / Ipad Installation Summary
- Install OpenVPN Connect from iTunes store.
- Download and import OpenVPN config files for IOS from your account area.
- Launch OpenVPN app, Input VPN username and password as listed in your account.
- Install OpenVPN Connect from iTunes.
- Download OpenVPN config files for iPhone / iPad on to your computer. Unzip and email the files as an attachment to an email address configured on your device.
- Open email on your IOS device and tap on the attachment. Tap on open attachment icon .
- Choose Copy to OpenVPN and hit + in the following screen to import config to OpenVPN app.
- Input your Acevpn username and password as listed in your account area when prompted and hit Yes to Allow OpenVPN to enable VPN connection.
How Does VPN On Iphone Work
You might ask yourself, do I need VPN on my iPhone? First, let us show you how it actually works. Imagine you want to access any website, let it be Facebook as an example, and theres a firewall due to some kind of governmental censorship in your country. You connect to your VPN, and it serves as a gateway. What does it mean? It means you control your own destiny now. You bypass your firewall, control your gateway, and no one can block it now as long as youre the only one who has access to your VPN.
Another example, imagine youre sitting in a coffee shop using public WiFi on your iPhone or iPad and decide to check on your bank account. Someone else with the laptop can easily log in to the network and get a hold of your emails, passwords, and other data you might have. But if you use a VPN, your internet connection will be encrypted, and no one will be able to access your data.
Don’t Miss: Configuring Att Uverse Router
How To Set Up A VPN On An Android Phone
Now that you’ve chosen the VPN you want to use, follow these steps to get it up and running on your Android device:
1. Open the Google Play store app on your mobile phone and tap the search bar at the top of the screen.
2. Type in the name of the VPN you’d like to use, and select it from the list of apps that pops up. Take a look at the app’s creator to make sure you’re downloading the official app instead of a copycat. The name of the company and app creator should match up. Click Install and wait for the app to download.
3. Once the VPN app is installed, leave the Google Play store and return to your phone’s home screen to click on the VPN app and open it.
4. The first time you open any paid VPN app, you’ll be asked to provide your login information or to sign up for the service. If you’re asked to sign up using an email address , be sure to check your email for a confirmation link from your new VPN provider.
For the apps listed in CNET’s VPN directory, the process will be largely the same: You’ll be prompted to choose and pay for your preferred level of subscription. We always suggest choosing a service that has a 30-day refund policy so you can test-drive services until you find the one you like.
That means by default, nearly any new VPN you use will only be in operation when you open the app and turn it on. Just remember to turn it off once you’re finished browsing.
Learn smart gadget and internet tips and tricks with our entertaining and ingenious how-tos.
How To Connect To A VPN From Your Iphone Or Ipad
Chris Hoffman is Editor-in-Chief of How-To Geek. He’s written about technology for over a decade and was a PCWorld columnist for two years. Chris has written for The New York Times, been interviewed as a technology expert on TV stations like Miami’s NBC 6, and had his work covered by news outlets like the BBC. Since 2011, Chris has written over 2,000 articles that have been read nearly one billion times—and that’s just here at How-To Geek. Read more…
Modern iPhones and iPads have excellent VPN support. The L2TP/IPSec and Cisco IPSec protocols are integrated. You can connect to OpenVPN networks and other types of virtual private networks with third-party apps.
Prior to iOS 8, iPhones automatically disconnected from VPNs when they went into sleep mode. Now, iOS devices will stay connected to the VPN even when their screen turns off. You wont have to constantly reconnect.
Recommended Reading: Amazon.com Blocking VPN
What Are The Different VPN Protocols
If you opt to go the DIY route and set up the VPN manually, you will have to choose which VPN protocol you want to use. So, its a good idea to familiarize yourself with the different options that are available how they operate andtheir strengths and weaknesses. Some VPN providers, including Avast SecureLine, support multiple protocols.
One of the most popular and recommended protocols,OpenVPN is a highly secure, highly configurable open-source platform that can use AES 256-bit encryption and is especially good at bypassing firewalls. OpenVPN works on all of the major operating systems, including Android and iOS. However, it is not natively supported on any platform, which means you have to add it to your mobile device via a third-party client .
Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol is a common protocol supported by most operating systems. It was developed by Microsoft and others back in the 1990s. This protocol is fast, but its considered to be one of the least secure options available today which is probably why it is no longer natively supported by iOS. We do not recommend the use of this protocol, so we did not include it in the setup sections below.
IPSec can also be used on its own and is natively supported on iOS devices.
Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol is a proprietary Microsoft protocol that can provide a very secure connection and is good at bypassing firewalls, but its compatibility is limited to Windows devices.
Downloading Openvpn Configuration File
Open the Safari browser on your device and go to and tap on the configuration file for the countries that you want to connect to. In this example, Ive chosen MPN GBR.ovpn which will allow me to connect to our United Kingdom servers.
For a detailed list of server names, please refer to our complete list of servers.
Your iOS device should recognise the file and give you the option to Open in OpenVPN app, choose this.
Also Check: How To Get VPN On Xbox