Keep Your Android And Info Safe
Using a VPN without an app on your Android device will help you stay safe from prying eyes even when on the go. Youll also be able to access all your favorite websites and social media platforms no matter where you are in the world.
Not sure which VPN to choose from our list? We recommend ExpressVPN.This VPN has various levels of encryption and is the best value for money. It also has the largest repertoire of servers in the industry.
While we believe ExpressVPN is the best service, you can try any of them. After all, every service comes with a risk-free trial or a money-back guarantee. Stay safe and enjoy your new VPN on your Android device!
Why Choose A VPN
A VPN has many uses and can prove to be very beneficial for you. We advise that you connect to an efficient and effective VPN if choosing a third-party app. An app such as FastestVPN is guaranteed to give you great results.Moreover, you should opt for a VPN due to the following reasons:
- It will allow you to access your home network even when youre traveling you can even create your own VPN in order to access your home network, and use local files, play games, share files, etc as if you were still on the same LAN. If you own an android and would like to know how to create a VPN on android then stay tuned.
- It will hide your browsing activity as weve established before, a VPN will mask your identity and ensure anonymity by changing your IP address and hiding your internet traffic which is why we suggest that you always connect to a VPN before joining public networks as theyre the most susceptible to attempts of spying.
- Access geo-restricted sites most of the time the websites we want to visit are restricted by location or not available in our particular region, in order to surpass such restrictions a VPN will always come in handy.
- Bypass censorship if your ISP or government has implemented blocks on certain websites then one of the most reliable ways to surpass censored websites is through a VPN.
Using A VPN With Your Android Smart TV
A smart TV is a television that is Internet-connected. It can also be referred to as a “connected tv,” and smart TVs are available on various platforms including Android. Since it’s connected to the Internet, a smart TV has access to a variety of services a normal TV does not. This access also comes with risks, however, so it’s essential you secure your connection. A VPN like VyprVPN is a great way to secure your connection and protect your smart TV. To set up a VPN on your Android TV, follow these steps:
Recommended Reading: How To Change VPN Location On Mac
The Best VPN For Your Android TV
Are you still looking for a VPN for your Android TV? We can make a recommendation! If you want more options or try out several VPNs, you should have a look at our article VPN on Your Android TV. We discuss the three best options in that article. Do you want to choose a VPN all by yourself? Then you can use our reviews to compare and contrast many options.
How To Use A VPN On Android
Setting up and using a VPN on Android is fairly simple, and can be done through a few straightforward steps that well discuss in this guide. Once you have set up a VPN on Android and granted it access to your network, you can use it just like any other app without repeating the setup process each time you launch the app.
- Download and install a VPN app of your choice from our list of the best VPN apps for Android. If none of these appeal to you, you can also search for VPN apps on the Play Store and download the one you like.
- Once youve installed the app of your choice, launch it and go through the initial setup. If the app asks you to register with an account or log in, complete the process.
- Next, tap on the icon that says Connect. This will initiate the VPN connection process.
- Now youll see a pop-up dialog box on your phone letting you know the app is requesting to set up a VPN connection. Select OK.
- The VPN app will now start the connection process and once you see the Connected message, your phone will display a small icon that looks like a key in the notification panel. This icon indicates your phone is connected to a VPN.
- You can verify this by going to your phones Settings > Wi-Fi and Network > VPN and selecting the settings icon next to the VPN app youve installed. From here, you can select the VPN to be always-on or you can even forget the VPN if you no longer want to use it.
Also Check: Express VPN Google Play
Why Use A VPN Apk
As mentioned earlier, there are various circumstances wherein sideloading your desired app is the only option. For one thing, Google may have removed the VPN app from the Google Play store, so you wont be able to install it directly on your Android device. This can happen due to licensing disputes or violations of Googles ToS .
Another reason wherein sideloading apps can be necessary is when the latest version of the VPN app isnt compatible with your version of Android. This is generally not the case for recent models of Android smartphones and tablets. However, if youre using an older device, then you will find that many apps on the Google Play Store are no longer compatible. In this case, you can sideload an older version of the app to circumvent such restrictions.
It is also possible that your desired VPN app is not available in your region. Similarly, you can download the APK from the VPNs official website and sideload the app to your Android device to get around the restriction.
Check out our recommended VPNs for Android: 5 Best Android VPN to Use in 2020
Some people use APKs to sideload premium apps without having to pay for them. That said, we strongly discourage everyone from doing so as its an act of piracy and can come with serious legal ramifications. More importantly, most pirated APKs downloaded from questionable sources contain malware that can infect your Android device.
The Top Reasons Why You Should Use A VPN On Your Android Device
The best VPNs encrypt your data from prying eyes and hackers. Not only this, they will allow you to so you can gain access to content wherever you are in the world.
If you connect to a public Wi-Fi hotspot in a café, hotel or airport, a hacker can view your online activity using sophisticated technology. Unfortunately, the only security protocol you can use when connecting without the app is L2TP which, to be honest, isnt the best. But if you have no room on your phone for another app then this is the best you can do for now.
They can also create a fake network with a similar name to the one in your location. For example, they could call it coffee shop internet instead of coffee shop Wi-Fi. By connecting to the wrong one, you give them free rein to steal all the details you share online and on your device.
intruders can also access personal information on your smartphone or tablet.
With the above in mind, its now more important than ever to protect yourself while using your mobile device. You can easily do that with one of the best VPN services. The VPNs listed above all have mobile applications that are easy to install and use while on the go.
Read Also: Uverse Modem Settings
Expressvpn For Android TV: Streaming At Rapid Speeds
One of the best and most popular VPNs at the moment is ExpressVPN. This provider stands out when you look at streaming quality as well. ExpressVPN is very easy to use in combination with an Android TV because of its nifty Play Store app. With the ExpressVPN servers you will always be able to reach high speeds in the safest possible way. We have ranked ExpressVPN at the top of our list after researching the fastest VPN provider, which is perfect for streaming. If you use a slow VPN you will have to wait for a video to buffer, but this wont happen with ExpressVPN. It will make sure that you can enjoy your Android TV without any interruptions.
ExpressVPN is also very secure. It uses the strongest types of encryption and doesnt log anything. Their applications are available in several different languages. We have concluded that ExpressVPN is the best choice to safely stream any content on Hulu, Netflix, and other online platforms. If youre unsure if a VPN is for you, you can test out ExpressVPN risk-free with their 30-day money-back guarantee.
Why Would You Install A VPN On Your Android TV
Weve talked about this before, but we want to list the advantages of using a VPN on your Android TV for you again. A VPN will give users more privacy, security, and freedom online. What does this mean for your Android TV? Here are some examples:
- Privacy: It is more difficult for people to find out what youre up to online when you use a VPN on your Android TV. It is not anyone elses business what youre watching, it is yours. If you dont use a VPN, many others like your internet provider, landlord, websites youre visiting, and cybercriminals can see what youre watching.
- Security: If cybercriminals can no longer see your data, they cant abuse it either. Your online presence is more secure with the VPN encryption, and so is your Android TV. You can watch Disney plus without any security worries.
- Freedom: Unlimited streaming becomes an option with a VPN on your Android TV. If you choose your servers right you will gain access to more content than what is available in your own location. If you choose a server in the US you will be able to access their Netflix content. You can also find more content through foreign servers on platforms such as Hulu, Spotify, , and many sports channels.
Read Also: Does VPN Work In Incognito
What Can I Do With A VPN On My Phone
Conceal Your Identity
30-day money back guarantee
VPN bounces your signal between different webservers to hide your IP address and encrypt your traffic hence providing anonymity.
Visit Your Homebased Websites When Youre Traveling
30-day money back guarantee
You may not be able to access the same web content as you do from home. For example, accessing your online banking may be a problem when your IP address is picked up out of the country. By changing the location of your current IP address, youd gain the same access to the websites you want.
Browse Safely on Public Wi-Fi Networks
When accessing the internet from public Wi-Fi networks, connecting to the public hotspots is a high-security risk. Public hotspots are every cyber hackers dream since they are unsecure, unencrypted, and offer ample opportunities to seize your browsing sessions and your phone data. Using a VPN encrypts the traffic from your phone to prevent this from happening.
Gain Access to Blocked Streaming Sites
Some VPNs can allow you access to streaming sites like Amazon Prime, Netflix, and the like. It also enables you to stream sites from other regions, for example, BBC iPlayer.
Setup VPN Using Turbo VPN App
One of the best free VPN Apps that you can find on Google Play Store is Turbo VPN, which offers unlimited Free VPN service.
Although, Turbo VPN App covers only a limited number of Countries, it covers the most popular Countries that most users would be interested in.
1. Open Google Play Store on your Android Phone and download Turbo VPN App.
2. Once the App is downloaded, open the app and tap on the World icon located at the top-right corner.
3. On the next screen, select the Country in which you want to use Turbo VPN.
4. Wait for the App to connect to your selected Countrys VPN network. If you get an error message, select the Country again.
Once you are connected to the VPN network, you are all setup and ready to use the VPN service on your Android Phone.
Recommended Reading: 911 VPN Download For Laptop
Use A Standalone VPN App
Here at How-To Geek we have a few favorite VPN services, all of which have dedicated Android apps that make setup a breeze.
ExpressVPN is definitely our top choice, as their clients are not only easy to use, but you can share an account across any kind of device Android, iPhone, Windows, Mac, Linux, or even your home router. We also like StrongVPN, which is great for more advanced users, and if you really need a free tier, TunnelBear has a free trial that gives you 500mb of data.
Why Do You Need An Android Emulator
Android Emulators serve a wide range of use-cases. Primarily they are used to provide a virtual environment that mimics the behavior of an actual Android device. This virtual environment is ready to run Android applications and can also interact with the external environment of your computers such as the camera, Bluetooth, and file system.
Developers use Android emulators to test their apps while they are not ready to be published on PlayStore. These emulators come in handy for testing these applications as they eliminate the need for an actual device and a large number of test users can test using a similar environment.
A large number of people also use Android emulators to run their day-to-day apps like WhatsApp, Facebook, on their computers. The most popular reason to install BlueStack on a VPS is to install Instagram in order to conduct Instagram Marketing activities and such guide is the perfect way to do that.
Also Check: Urban VPN Safe
How To Manually Set Up A VPN On Any Device
Most premium VPN service providers offer platform-specific clients or apps that can be downloaded to quickly and simply connect to a server. However, there are a few situations in which you may need to manually configure and set up a VPN, such as when using a system that doesnt allow third-party app installations, when remotely connecting to an office network, or if its just something you prefer.
All VPN services or your site administrator will provide the relevant information you need specific server, remote ID, username, password, and more. Once youre armed with these details, heres what you need to do to manually set up a VPN on all devices!
How To Download A VPN Apk For Android
The steps may vary depending on the make and model of your Android device. For this example, well be referencing a Lenovo Z6 Android smartphone. You will find the option under settings then security. Look for Unknown Sources and tap on the toggle switch right next to it to enable the feature.
For the next step, you will need to download the APK of your desired VPN. Again, you would want to be careful where you get this file from. Do some research and choose a reputable source. If possible, download the APK from the VPNs official website.
For this example, well be referencing the APK of the VPN app called Tunnelbear, which weve downloaded from a site called APK Pure. You will also find older versions of the VPN app on their website.
Tap on Download APK to start downloading the APK file to your Android device.
The next step is to install the APK file youve downloaded to your Android device. Tap on the file, and your device will ask you whether you want to install the app. Tap on Install to begin the process.
At this point, youve finished sideloading the VPN app on your Android device. The application will automatically open, and you just need to key in your login information to start using the VPN on your mobile device.
Read Also: Firestick Ipvanish
Why Do I Need A VPN On My Phone
VPNs encrypt all the data that travels on your network. This prevents hackers and spies from stealing your personal information because they cant break that encryption to read your data.
It will also stop sneaky websites tracking your browsing activity and creating targeted ads from your history. If you live in a country where internet surveillance and censorship is prevalent, a VPN will also help you access blocked content anonymously.
And, even if your internet isnt censored, youll be able to use your VPN to watch geo-restricted content, like Netflix US and Hulu.
Some workplaces even use VPNs to create a secure way for employees to connect to their network. If youre using a VPN for business purposes, dont worry weve got you covered. We will also show you how to connect to an existing VPN network on your Android phone below.
Find out more about protecting your cybersecurity with our comprehensive beginners guide.
How To Set Up A VPN On An Android Phone
Now that you’ve chosen the VPN you want to use, follow these steps to get it up and running on your Android device:
1. Open the Google Play store app on your mobile phone and tap the search bar at the top of the screen.
2. Type in the name of the VPN you’d like to use, and select it from the list of apps that pops up. Take a look at the app’s creator to make sure you’re downloading the official app instead of a copycat. The name of the company and app creator should match up. Click Install and wait for the app to download.
3. Once the VPN app is installed, leave the Google Play store and return to your phone’s home screen to click on the VPN app and open it.
4. The first time you open any paid VPN app, you’ll be asked to provide your login information or to sign up for the service. If you’re asked to sign up using an email address , be sure to check your email for a confirmation link from your new VPN provider.
For the apps listed in CNET’s VPN directory, the process will be largely the same: You’ll be prompted to choose and pay for your preferred level of subscription. We always suggest choosing a service that has a 30-day refund policy so you can test-drive services until you find the one you like.
That means by default, nearly any new VPN you use will only be in operation when you open the app and turn it on. Just remember to turn it off once you’re finished browsing.
Learn smart gadget and internet tips and tricks with our entertaining and ingenious how-tos.
You May Like: Does Spectrum Offer VPN Service