How To Choose The Right VPN Server
Sometimes you might not want to be connected to the server the VPN app recommends. Perhaps you want to spoof your location, use BitTorrent via VPN, or take advantage of custom servers. Or maybe the server the app recommends just doesn’t work or is very slow. Whatever the reason, the best VPNs will let you quickly and easily jump to a different VPN server.
Sometimes, VPN apps present their servers in lengthy menus or pull-down lists. The best VPN services will include search bars and highlight servers for specific activitiessuch as streaming and BitTorrenting. Many VPN companies include an interactive map as part of their app. TunnelBear and NordVPN, for example, let you click on countries to connect to servers there.
Choosing a server depends entirely on what you want to accomplish. For better speeds, you should choose a nearby server. To access region-locked content, you’ll want a server that’s local to content you want to watch. If you’re trying to watch the BBC, you’ll want to tunnel to the UK. To bypass government censorship, choose a server in a country different from your own .
Some VPN companies have specialized servers for streaming video. These specialized servers are useful because streaming services such as Netflix block VPNs. At issue are the licensing deals Netflix secures with studios, which provide different content for different regions.
How To Use A VPN With Your Amazon Fire Tablet
Jason Fitzpatrick is the Editor in Chief of LifeSavvy, How-To Geek’s sister site focused life hacks, tips, and tricks. He has over a decade of experience in publishing and has authored thousands of articles at Review Geek, How-To Geek, and Lifehacker. Jason served as Lifehacker’s Weekend Editor before he joined How-To Geek. Read more…
Whether you need to access your company intranet from afar or you want to watch Netflix while on vacation in a foreign country, setting up a VPN on your Amazon Fire tablet makes accessing remote networks a snap.
What Are The Different VPN Protocols
If you opt to go the DIY route and set up the VPN manually, you will have to choose which VPN protocol you want to use. So, its a good idea to familiarize yourself with the different options that are available how they operate andtheir strengths and weaknesses. Some VPN providers, including Avast SecureLine, support multiple protocols.
One of the most popular and recommended protocols,OpenVPN is a highly secure, highly configurable open-source platform that can use AES 256-bit encryption and is especially good at bypassing firewalls. OpenVPN works on all of the major operating systems, including Android and iOS. However, it is not natively supported on any platform, which means you have to add it to your mobile device via a third-party client .
Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol is a common protocol supported by most operating systems. It was developed by Microsoft and others back in the 1990s. This protocol is fast, but its considered to be one of the least secure options available today which is probably why it is no longer natively supported by iOS. We do not recommend the use of this protocol, so we did not include it in the setup sections below.
IPSec can also be used on its own and is natively supported on iOS devices.
Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol is a proprietary Microsoft protocol that can provide a very secure connection and is good at bypassing firewalls, but its compatibility is limited to Windows devices.
You May Like: Does VPN Change Nat Type
Set Up A VPN On Apple Devices
VPNs are also directly configurable on all iPhones, iPads, and Macs. You have to go through a few extra steps on macOS, but its a breeze on iOS.
How to manually set up a VPN on iOS
Manually setting up a VPN on macOS
Youll have to go through the different sections and add the required information.
- First, select VPN Type, choose the VPN protocol, add a name, and click on Create.
- You can then enter the server address, authentication and login info, and any additional network administrator settings.
- Click Apply and then select OK.
- To connect to the VPN, go to System Preferences > Network, click on the VPN service name and click on Connect.
- You can also select Show VPN status in the menu bar and use the status icon to connect to the VPN network quickly.
When Should You Turn Off Your VPN
While we recommend keeping your VPN on as much as possible, there are some situations in which you need to switch it off temporarily. These include, but are not limited to:
- When speed is the number-one priority, such as multiplayer gaming and downloading excessively large files. VPNs can sometimes slow down your connection due to the encryption process that takes place. High-quality providers usually have workarounds for this problem and can offer excellent speeds regardless.
- When the content or service you want to access is only available in your country, but the VPN service doesnt have servers in that location.
- When youre experiencing network problems like No Internet, Secured and need to troubleshoot them to ensure the issue isnt being caused by your VPN.
Also Check: How To Install VPN On Tp Link Router
How To Setup A VPN On The Samsung Galaxy Tab
By Paul LiuMonday, October 7th, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Tab is an extremely popular Android based tablet. The first model of the series was released by Samsung in September 2010. Due to the extremely positive response from the customers, several models of Galaxy Tab have been released including some with much larger displays. The third generation of Galaxy tablet is available in three different sizes and boasts of several cutting-edge features designed to win the hearts of its customers.
Need For A VPN On Samsung Galaxy Tab
The advanced networking and Wi-Fi connectivity features that come with Samsung Galaxy Tab allow you to remain mobile and connected at all times. Be it a mall, a coffee shop, a hotel or an airport the Galaxy Tab picks the wireless signals from hotspot locations and allow you to carry on with your work without facing any kind of disruption. However, the free Wi-Fi service available at most commercial establishments is not really secure since the providers use a minimal level of security. This allows hackers and snoopers to steal passwords, bank data, credit card details and even identity from unsuspecting users.
Setting Up A VPN On Samsung Galaxy Tab
In this article, we will explain how to setup a PPTP and L2TP/IPSec VPN on Samsung Galaxy Tab.
Step 1: Close all apps and go to Galaxy Tabs home screen.
Step 2: Next, tap on the Settings icon located on the home screen.
Step 5: To add a new VPN connection, tap on Add VPN option.
When Should You Keep Your VPN On
It depends on what youre looking to do online. Youll need a VPN if you want to:
- Use Public Wi-Fi Safely: Public Wi-Fi networks in cafes, airports, or shopping malls are usually targeted by cybercriminals. Using the encryption capabilities of a VPN is the best way to stay protected from them.
- Access Geo-Restricted Content: Cant watch a movie on Netflix or video on YouTube due to geographical restrictions? No worries. You can stream such content from anywhere through a VPN connection.
- Browse Privately: Even if your online activities dont require a VPN, you wouldnt want snoopers to keep tabs on what youre doing. A VPN switches your IP address, enabling you to access the internet with better privacy.
- Get Around Censorship: You wont be able to use certain services and websites in countries that practice internet censorship, such as Russia or Iran. These restrictions can be bypassed instantly with a VPN.
Also Check: Nordvpn On Samsung TV
Connect To A VPN With A Windows System
The connection process is different depending on your variant of Windows system:
Thats how you can set up a VPN connection on a Windows device.
Install An Android VPN With The Apk File
In some circumstances, installing a VPN via an .apk file is the only option available to you – for example, if you’re based in China, or you have de-Googled your Android device . If you need to go down this route, then most VPNs will be provide you with an .apk file of their software that you can side load to Android.
Before we start, please note that side loading files from outside the Play Store presents a security risk. So be sure to obtain the .apk from a reputable source – such a from your provider. It cant hurt to run a malware scan on it either.
Providing you are sure that you have an official VPN .apk, follow the steps below to install it on your device.
Start by downloading an Android file manager app.
There are many options available, but we recommend ES File Manager.
You can download it directly from the web using your web browser, send it to your Android device as an email attachment, transfer it from a desktop computer via USB lead or USB stick, access it from your Dropbox account, or whatever.
Find the downloaded file using your chosen file explorer and select “Install.
Don’t Miss: How To Access Server Remotely By VPN
Closed Captioning Courtesy Of Openvpn Access Server: Remote Access To Lan
A nonprofit corporation provides closed captioning for broadcast, opening up television access to the deaf and hard-of-hearing communities. They have offices in two US states and a remote data center, and the majority of their staff work remotely keeping their organization operating 24/7.
- The remote staff needs to connect reliably to any of the three facilities to access specialized software/services.
- Should a resource at any site give the Captioner concern, they need to be able to quickly redirect to a different facility to minimize caption loss
- Employees use Windows operating system exclusively, so any solution needs to support Windows.
Our solution: OpenVPN Access Server.
Remote staff now have efficient access to all three facilities.
Thats the solution they need. Thats Access Server.
So how can you get started?
How To Use VPN On Android Phones And Tablets
Virtual Private Network adds additional security protocols which allows connection to a private network. Using VPN on Android phones or tablets allows for an extra secure connection to the network. VPN is usually offered by corporations, schools, etc. to allow users to connect into the internal private local network while not physically on location.
There are several ways to secure a VPN network. Before you can begin using VPN on Android phones or tablets and connect to a VPN network, you must get the security information from your IT people that set up the VPN network. You must be connected to the internet in order to proceed with the VPN setup and to use the VPN connection.
Working with secure certificates
If the VPN connection security uses secure certificates, you must get the certificate information and add them in your tablets secure credential storage, before you can configure VPN access on your tablet.
If you need to download the certificates from a web site, youll be asked to setup a password for the credential storage when you download the certificates. If get the certificates in some other way, you will need to use the Security & location settings to set a password for the credential storage first.
To add a VPN:
The VPN is added to the list on the VPN settings screen. Now that the VPN is set up, for using VPN on Android phones or tablets, follow this procedure:
To connect to a VPN:
- From the home screen, touch Apps
- Touch Settings
Recommended Reading: How To Install VPN On Xbox One
Setting Up A VPN In Windows 10
The first step is to create a VPN profile, which youll fill out with details from your particular VPN service.
Add a VPN profile in Windows 10.
- In the fields on the menu, select Windows for your VPN provider. Give your VPN a name under Connection name. Enter the server name or address, the VPN type, and the type of sign-in info, such as a username and password.
- To connect to your VPN, go back to Settings > Network & Internet > VPN. Click on your VPN name.
- If you want, you can select Advanced Options to edit the connection properties, clear your sign-in info, or set up a VPN proxy. You can also add a username and password in this section for extra security .
- Select Connect and enter a password if youve set one.
Setup VPN Using Turbo VPN App
One of the best free VPN Apps that you can find on Google Play Store is Turbo VPN, which offers unlimited Free VPN service.
Although, Turbo VPN App covers only a limited number of Countries, it covers the most popular Countries that most users would be interested in.
1. Open Google Play Store on your Android Phone and download Turbo VPN App.
2. Once the App is downloaded, open the app and tap on the World icon located at the top-right corner.
3. On the next screen, select the Country in which you want to use Turbo VPN.
4. Wait for the App to connect to your selected Countrys VPN network. If you get an error message, select the Country again.
Once you are connected to the VPN network, you are all setup and ready to use the VPN service on your Android Phone.
You May Like: How Can I Tell If My VPN Is Working
Set Up A VPN On Android Without An App
As a last resort, you can set up an L2TP/IPSec connection manually in your Android settings. We recommend avoiding PPTP, the other built-in protocol available, as it contains known security vulnerabilities.
Heres how to manually set up a VPN on Android 9:
On older versions of Android, VPN settings might be found under Settings > More > VPN.
While this works, proper VPN apps like those we recommend above offer far better security and much less tedious setup.
Do I Need A VPN On My Phone
Yes, you do need to use a VPN on your Android smartphone.
When youre out and about you probably connect to public WiFi.
Public WiFi is notoriously insecure, leaving your personal data vulnerable to hackers.
If you want to keep your personal information safe and secure you need to use a VPN.
VPNs encrypt all of your Androids internet traffic, preventing snooping third parties from seeing what youre doing online.
In addition to the privacy benefits, using a VPN on your phone helps you to unlock restricted or censored content.
Libraries, schools, and governments block certain websites. VPNs lets you access those websites securely and privately.
Don’t Miss: How To Setup VPN On Samsung TV
Configuring And Activating The VPN
Armed with your VPNs info, entering the VPN is a straightforward affair. On your Fire tablet, swipe down from the notification bar and click on the Settings icon.
Within the Settings menu, select Wireless & VPN.
In turn, select VPN.
Within the VPN menu, click on the plus sign + located in the upper right corner to create a new VPN entry.
Here is where the information from your VPN provider, workplace, or school is critical. Give your VPN connection a name and then select the appropriate type from the dropdown menu. Enter the information provided by your VPN and click Save.
After you save the entry, youll see the new VPN listed. Click on the link icon, seen below.
Youll be prompted for your username and password credentials. Enter them and click Connect.
If the setup is correct, youll immediately see a key icon in the notification bar.
At this point, youre connected to the VPN. Lets look at how to test the connection and how to disconnect from it.
Keep Your Android And Info Safe
Using a VPN without an app on your Android device will help you stay safe from prying eyes even when on the go. Youll also be able to access all your favorite websites and social media platforms no matter where you are in the world.
Not sure which VPN to choose from our list? We recommend ExpressVPN.This VPN has various levels of encryption and is the best value for money. It also has the largest repertoire of servers in the industry.
While we believe ExpressVPN is the best service, you can try any of them. After all, every service comes with a risk-free trial or a money-back guarantee. Stay safe and enjoy your new VPN on your Android device!
You May Like: How To Setup VPN On Att Uverse Router