Why Is Pia The #1 VPN For Linux
With our 100% no-usage-logs policy, we donât record or store any traffic data about our users, ever.
Our Linux VPN app is 100% open source in order to provide transparency.
We have 10+ years of expertise delivering high-quality VPN service.
Our VPN experts are standing by 24/7 to offer live customer support for all your needs.
We maintain a global network of world-class servers optimized for high speeds and unlimited bandwidth.
Covers 10 Devices
One PIA VPN subscription covers 10 devices simultaneously with dedicated apps for all major platforms.
How To Install A VPN On Kali Linux
Our Linux app officially supports Kali Linux. If you are using the community-developed version of our Linux app, please uninstall it before installing this app.
1. Our DEB package installs the ProtonVPN repository on your system.
2. Install the ProtonVPN repository
Double-click the downloaded DEB package to install the repo using your default package manager.
3. Update the apt-get package list
sudo apt-get install protonvpn
Once installed, simply log in with your Proton account credentials. If you do not yet have an account, you can .
The ProtonVPN Linux app is now ready to secure your internet browsing and allow you to access the internet without censorship blocks. However, please note that the system tray icon may not work on Kali Linux. This is because the system tray icon requires dependencies that have been deprecated.
How To Install And Use Protonvpn On Desktop Linux
ProtonVPN is a high-speed Swiss-based VPN that secures your precious data such as passwords using an encrypted tunnel. It provides notable features such as:
- Full disk encryption on ProtonVPN servers that helps secure data from attacks.
- Strong VPN protocols such as KEv2/IPSec and OpenVPN.
- Robust encryption with AES-256 for network encryption, 4096-bit RSA for key exchange, and HMAC with SHA384 for message authentication.
- Encryption cipher suites with perfect forward secrecy. This implies that encrypted traffic cannot be captured and be decrypted later if an encryption key gets compromised.
- No logs policy. Your data or internet activity is not tracked.
ProtonVPN provides numerous server locations, and at the time of writing this guide, it boasts of over 1200 servers spread out across 55 countries.
In this guide, we will show you how to install ProtonVPN on Linux.
Recommended Reading: How To Watch Uk Netflix Without VPN
Check Your VPN For Ip Leaks
Once connected to the VPN , it is a good idea to check for IP leaks.
The example above shows a bad case of IPv6 leaks. The IPv4 DNS result correctly shows that I am connected to a VPN server in the US, but the website can see my real UK IPv6 address via both a regular DNS leak and WebRTC. Fail!
For more information about staying secure with a VPN in the UK or US check out the guides below:
Note that Private-Use IPs are local IPs only. They cannot be used to identify an individual or device, and so do not constitute an IP leak.
Installing And Using Nordvpn On Linux
The NordVPN native application is the recommended option for connecting to NordVPN servers on your Linux device. We designed it with your experience in mind, giving easy access to features such as CyberSec, Autoconnect, and automated Kill Switch.
We have .deb and .rpm packages, which are compatible with various Debian-based and RHEL-based systems. Here is a list of tutorials on how to set up and use NordVPN on the main Linux distributions:
Tip: Don’t forget to use a strong password on your NordVPN account, as it will help you to avoid credential stuffing attacks and will keep your account safe.As generating and remembering strong and secure passwords is not an easy task, we recommend downloading a free password manager, like NordPass. It generates secure passwords for you and stores them safely, letting you avoid time-wasting password resets in the future.NordPass offers native apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android and iOS, so you can reach your passwords when and where needed, even offline.
Recommended Reading: How Can I Tell If My VPN Is Working
How Do I Set Up A L2tp VPN Connection In Linux
Make sure your VPN provider supports L2TP/IPSec. If it does, you should be able to get the necessary connection details, which probably include a shared secret on top of your username and password. You may need to install L2TP from the command line. You can then add a connection using the Linux Network Manager using the same steps as above.
Is Using Linux The Best Way To Download Torrents And Avoid Viruses
Most malware is made for Windows, so you have less of a chance of being infected by a virus on Linux. That being said, its still well worth it to take precautions on Linux, because theres plenty of malware out there for you as well.
The most important thing is to do your best to only download trustworthy torrents. They should be linked from the official source. Failing that, choose torrents with plenty of good feedback and a lot of seeds.
A VPN will protect your privacy from any malicious actors on the BitTorrent network and prevent unsolicited requests to your device. Some VPNs, like CyberGhost, include built-in malware protection.
Read Also: How To Setup VPN On Amazon Fire TV
Installing Openvpn In Ubuntu Gnome
Register an account with your chosen VPN provider.
Check that OpenVPN is correctly installed by clicking on the NetworkManager Icon in the notification bar.
Then go to VPN Off -> VPN Settings -> VPN -> and click the + button.
In the Add VPN box, you should see an OpenVPN option. If you dont see OpenVPN, then restart your PC.
Assuming you see the OpenVPN option, dont click on it. Click on Import from file instead. Navigate to where you downloaded the .ovpn files and double-click on one.
An Add VPN box will appear populated by the servers VPN settings. Simply fill in your Username and Password and hit Add.
The VPN is now set up. To start it, go to NetworkManager -> VPN off -> and select the server you wish to connect to.
Manually Configure VPN For Linux Using Ikev2
IKEv2 is a secure and fast VPN protocol that is rapidly gaining popularity with VPN services. It is supported in Linux via strongSwan. strongSwan packages are available for most versions of Linux, or you can compile it yourself.
How to install IKEv2 for NetworkManager. You can build this from the source, or Debian/Ubuntu users can open Terminal and enter:
sudo apt-get install network-manager-strongswan
In use, the plugin works just like the L2PT NetworkManager plugin described above.
Simply enter the IKEv2 settings provided by your VPN .
Also Check: Add VPN Chrome
How To Choose A Good Linux VPN
Heres what we are looking for:
- Linux support The VPN must work with the most popular Linux distros such as Fedora, Ubuntu, and Mint. Bonus points if the VPN comes with a working Linux client, so you dont have to do manual setups.
- High security. Good Linux VPNs provide data protection with bank-grade encryption and no logs policies. Some VPNs have additional features such as perfect forward secrecy, RAM-only servers or ad blocking.
- Fast speeds The VPN provider should reduce slowdowns when connecting to large servers networks. Its nice to have fast protocols like WireGuard.
- P2P-Torrenting is very popular under Linux. Its therefore important to choose a VPN that supports P2P traffic.
- A Linux VPN that offers excellent value should offer reasonable prices, a return policy and great customer service. It should be capable of connecting up to five concurrent users.
- Supports streaming Linux may not be the best operating system for streaming, but it can still run Netflix, Roku and Amazon Prime. If a VPN works well, you should be able to access geo-restricted websites without any problems.
How To Install The Protonvpn Linux App
The official ProtonVPN Linux app lets you protect your Linux devices with ProtonVPN while controlling the VPN via an intuitive and easy-to-use graphical interface.
This app natively supports advanced ProtonVPN features, including:
- NetShield Adblocker
- Kill Switch
- Secure Core
Not only is the Linux app easy to use, but installing it is quick and simple, regardless of which distro you use. This article will explain how to use our official Linux app. We have separate installation guides for all supported distros:
If you are using the community-developed version of our Linux app, we recommend you uninstall it before installing the new app. Instructions for this are provided in each distro setup guide.
You May Like: How To Use Windscribe VPN On Firestick
Best VPNs For Linux In 2021
Linux is a free OS that lets you greatly customize your experience. Being open-source in nature, this is the top choice for privacy-minded individuals. To boost their privacy, many of these users also turn to VPN service providers. The problem is that software-wise, Linux users often get the short end of the stick. This makes choosing the right VPN provider more challenging than it would be on other platforms.
So, in this best VPN for Linux list, we’ll go through the top options, no matter which distribution you’re using.
What Are The Benefits Of Stark VPN
With just one tap on your mobile phone screen, you can connect to Starks VPN network without the need for any account registration for it. Stark VPN has multiple servers throughout the world to connect to which you can choose easily to hide your real IP address.
Stark VPN is also very compatible with the torrent clients. It is a perfect VPN service if you want to become anonymous when downloading files from a torrent network. Following are a few benefits of Stark VPN:-
- Stark VPN for PC is easy to use
- Stark VPN for PC provides usage of unlimited data
- Stark VPN for PC provides a secured connection
- Stark VPN for PC provides compression support
- Stark VPN for PC has low battery/ram usage
- Stark VPN for PC is torrent-friendly
- Stark VPN for PC allows you to select your preferred location from many
Also Check: How To Use 911 Proxy On Iphone
Install Protonvpn In Linux
With the ProtonVPN account already created, the next step is to install ProtonVPN. The VPN leverages the IKEv2/IPSec and OpenVPN protocols. OpenVPN protocol supports both TCP and UDP and for this reason, we will use OpenVPN on our Linux desktop.
To install OpenVPN, run the following commands:
Install OpenVPN in Debian/Ubuntu
Then install ProtonVPN CLI using the pip package manager.
$ sudo pip3 install protonvpn-cli
Install OpenVPN in RHEL/CentOS 8 and Rocky Linux
On Red Hat derivatives such as RHEL/CentOS, Fedora, and Rocky Linux, run the commands shown.
$ sudo dnf install -y openvpn dialog python3-pip python3-setuptools$ sudo pip3 install protonvpn-cli
Install OpenVPN in ArchLinux / Manjaro
For Arch-based distributions, run the commands shown.
$ sudo pacman -S openvpn dialog python-pip python-setuptools$ sudo pip3 install protonvpn-cli
How To Use The Menu Screen Of VPN Unlimited For Linux
To access the Menu of KeepSolid VPN Unlimited app, press the button in the top left corner of the main screen.
The Menu consists of 4 tabs: My account, Settings, Information, and Support. The first one, My account includes the following options:
1) Details of your KeepSolid ID: It is the email address of your account and the remaining period of your subscription.
More information about KeepSolid ID you can find on this page.
In case you want to log out, click on button.
2) Purchases: Check it out to select the most suitable subscription for you. The options include VPN subscription plans, as well as Extras:
- Personal VPN server
- Additional slots for your devices
- VPN for teams
These 4 additional offers provide an opportunity to bring your VPN experience to a totally new level. You can learn more about their benefits here.
You can also get to the Purchases tab via the main screen of our VPN for Linux, in just one click. To use the shortcut, just press the button above the map.
3) Change Password: Enter your current password, then type a new one, confirm it and tap Change Password.
4) Password Protection: This option adds an extra layer of security for your account. With password protection on, youll need to enter your password on each launch of VPN Unlimited app on your Linux device.
5) Redeem a code: Enter your redeem code to activate the subscription it provides.
6) We recommend: Check out our top solutions to boost your security and productivity.
Also Check: Expressvpn Samsung TV
The Best Free VPNs For Linux
Whatever Linux distro you use, you need a VPN that can offer easy installation, strong security, and, most importantly, fast speed. Ive carefully tested 43 options to bring you the best on the market so you can safely use the internet from anywhere.
- Lightning-fast speeds for streaming, browsing, and downloading
- 3,000 servers in 90 countries
- Easy-to-follow guides for Linux distros
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Strict No-Logs policy protects your data
- 5 simultaneous device connections
- Works with: Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, Apple TV, and more
ExpressVPNs latest deal October 2021:
ExpressVPN is a premium service, but Ive included it in my top picks for Linux because of its 30-day money-back guarantee. You can try it out and get a refund if youre not happy with it.
What sets ExpressVPN apart from many free options is its top-rated features that let you browse the web, stream your favorite shows, and download content securely and anonymously.
The Linux version of ExpressVPN is no different from the Windows/macOS version, so youll be able to access 3,000 servers in 90 countries. Having so many servers will help you unblock geo-restricted sites and platforms from all over the world.
But lets get back to the good stuff.
Use The Expressvpn Browser Extension
If you prefer to control the ExpressVPN Linux app with a graphical user interface , you can do so with the ExpressVPN browser extension for and .
Note: To use the browser extension, make sure to .
To get the ExpressVPN browser extension, run one of the following commands:
Don’t Miss: Will A VPN Make My Internet Faster
How To Use The Servers Screen Of VPN Unlimited For Linux
The Servers screen of KeepSolid VPN Unlimited for Linux consists of 4 tabs:
- Favorites: It is the list of your preferred locations. To add a VPN server to your Favorites, you just need to click on the star icon next to the name of preferred location. Here you can also activate the Optimal server option. This feature automatically selects a server that should provide the best performance.
- All servers: Here you can see the list of all servers available in the KeepSolid VPN Unlimited app.
- Torrent: This tab contains VPN servers that allow P2P download. Connect to any of them and download torrents anonymously and securely.
- Streaming: Here you can find servers specially designed to unblock access to such streaming services as Hulu, US Netflix, ESPN+, HBO Now, BBC iPlayer, etc.
Next to each VPN server you can see its workload. Less workloaded servers should provide you better performance.
If you want to find a specific server, you can type the desired location in the Search field.
In front of streaming servers you can also see this icon: . It opens the website of a corresponding streaming service in your browser.
Above the Search field you can see the Ping Test button. The test evaluates how long it takes for your device to transmit information to our VPN servers. Its results help you make a more informed decision on which VPN server to choose. The lower the ping value, the better your connection speed should be.
Setting Up The Openvpn Server
Setting up the server and configuring it is not easy, so we will be using a bash script that will make our lives easy. Download the script using the below command and make it executable by changing the permissions.$ curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/angristan/openvpn-install/master/openvpn-install.sh
$ chmod +x openvpn-install.sh
A device configuration file will be written under the current working directory until the VPN installation process is complete. This is the file that you’ll use to set up your OpenVPN client in the next portion.
Confirm that the OpenVPN service is running and the daemon is listening on the port specified during the setup. Use the below commands.
$ sudo systemctl status openvpn
$ sudo ss -tupln | grep openvpn
After setting up the server you now need to connect to this server from your client machine
The next step is to install OpenVPN, although in most of the Linux distros it is preinstalled, but confirm using the command.
$ sudo apt-get install openvpn
It is already installed in this case, so it displays something like this:
There are many ways to set up a VPN on a Linux system, but Network Manager is the simplest. Network Manager is an application that allows one to download, edit, and use OpenVPN configuration files. Install it using the command
$ sudo apt install network-manager-openvpn
Enable and start OpenVPN on the client machine.
$ sudo systemctl enable openvpn
$ sudo systemctl start openvpn
Don’t Miss: How To Setup VPN On Att Uverse Router
Install The Openvpn Client On Ubuntu Linux
In this step, we will see how to install the OpenVPN daemon inside Ubuntu Linux. The installation process is very straightforward you just need to run an apt-install command in the Ubuntu terminal shell.
After installing the OpenVPN daemon, you must also install the OpenVPN configuration inside the Ubuntu network manager. The network manager will be used later to establish the VPN connection. The daemon program will allow the OpenVPN to run in the system background.
- Install the OpenVPN Daemon
- Install the OpenVPN Network Manager
sudo apt install network-manager-openvpn