Find And Connect To The New Wi
When the hotspot is activated, connect your other devices to it as you would any other Wi-Fi network:
On your device, find the Wi-Fi hotspot. It might notify you that new wireless networks are available.
To find the wireless networks, use your Android phone and go to Settings> Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings. Then, follow the general Wi-Fi connection instructions for most computers.
Establish the connection by entering the password for the Wi-Fi hotspot.
Make Sure It’s Working
Try to search for new Wi-Fi networks using your phone or any other device. You should find a new network with the name you have chosen for your hotspot. Or the default name of your Windows if you have not changed it.Connect to it and enter the password. Refer to step 3 if you cannot remember the password.
Now, if you go to the ipleak.net or any other website to perform an IP test, you will see your new IP address from the Surfshark server that you have connected to on Windows. You can refer to this tutorial on how to make sure the connection was successful.
Congratulations – you have successfully configured a VPN-protected Wi-Fi hotspot on your Windows device! You can now connect all your devices to this hotspot and secure your connection, also bypass censorship on all connected devices.
If you have any further questions, our customer success team is here to help you 24/7 over live chat or email.You may also be interested in:
Use The Strongest Possible Encryption Type
Your mobile hotspot should by default have some form of encryption set up. However, encryption strengths vary depending on the encryption standardoutdated ones such as WEP are far less secure than WPA2, which is currently the most secure and most widely supported encryption type available. As such, always ensure your encryption type is set to WPA2.
Also Check: How To Protect My VPN
Does Mint Mobile Have A Hotspot
Yes, Mint Mobile lets you use your data for a mobile hotspot
Yes! You can use your Mint Mobile data to power a mobile hotspot on your smartphone.
All Mint Mobile plans come with hotspot capability. But the 4G LTE or 5G data that you use will be deducted from your normal data allotment, so be careful about how you use the hotspot.
Those with unlimited data plans from Mint Mobile will have a hotspot data cap of 5 GB. That should give you enough for some casual web browsing, standard-definition streaming, or for researching that final term paper youve been putting off.
Setting Up Your Adapter Options On Windows 10 And Older Windows Devices
Here both Windows 10 and users of older Windows devices come together!
Finish setting up your virtual router by doing the following:
Recommended Reading: How To Use Urban VPN
Which VPN Protocols Use The Least Data
For the most part, the default configuration from your VPN provider should be optimal for mobile usage. Reaching your monthly data cap too soon for your liking? Then you can always change the encryption protocol to a weaker, less data-intensive one provided your VPN supports multiple protocols.
Here are some of the more commonly used protocols nowadays, sorted by how much data they use :
- PPTP 128-bit MPPE Poor security the creators themselves have recommended avoiding this protocol
- L2TP/IPSec 128-bit AES Better security than PPTP, but much slower than it
- IKEv2/IPSec 128-bit AES IKEv2 allows you to switch between mobile data and Wi-Fi without dropping your connection. Useful in not interrupting any data streaming
- OpenVPN 128-bit AES Offers much better security, while still keeping mobile data usage low
- Obfuscated OpenVPN 128-bit AES Data usage is a bit higher than the above, but VPN obfuscation could help you bypass VPN filters
- L2TP/IPSec256-bit AES
- SSTP SSL 3.0 + 256-bit AES
- Obfuscated OpenVPN 256-bit AES Excellent security-wise, but uses the most data out of all options
As a general idea, 256-bit encryption is much stronger than its 128-bit counterpart, making it great for security. However, it also adds more overhead to your data, and further slows down your connection.
Can I Connect To VPN Using Iphone Hotspot
confirming this when I use the personal hotspot feature on my wifes iPhone 6, which is running iOS 11. A personal hotspot has not worked when USB, WiFi or Bluetooth are used. You can see all the rest of the features of personal hotspot working in fact, only blocking VPN access is having an effect.
You May Like: How To Put VPN On Wifi Router
Can A VPN Help Me Get Around Data Caps
Your data still needs to pass through your ISP before reaching the VPN servers. While it is encrypted and they have no idea what it consists of, your ISP can still measure how much data youve used up. Otherwise, everybody would be using VPN on mobile data for basically free, unlimited Internet.
Still, a VPN can help you get around a practice known as bandwidth throttling whereby your ISP slows down your connection if they notice youve used a lot of data on particular services .
Basically, your ISP cant see what you use your mobile data for, so they cant throttle your bandwidth on that basis. Obviously, if you havent gone past your data cap, then they cant throttle your entire connection without risking a hefty lawsuit.
How To Share A VPN Connection On Windows
Using a VPN can unlock a whole new online world.
From unblocking regional libraries on streaming sites like Netflix and Hulu to getting around government censorship, VPNs grant you total online freedom.
VPNs can also take care of your privacy and safety online. They encrypt your traffic, mask your IP address, and block ads and malware.
So what do you do when you want to bypass geoblocking on a device that doesnt support a VPN connection?
You set up a virtual router with a VPN and share your VPN connection.
All you need is a fast, secure VPN like ExpressVPN that supports the OpenVPN protocol so you can share your VPN connection over wi-fi on Windows.
You May Like: How To Use VPN In Mobile
Why You Need A VPN On Xbox
An Xbox might not be the first device you associate with VPNs, but there are three valid reasons why youd want to combine the two.
- Security: If you happen to be using your Xbox on a public Wi-Fi network, using a VPN can prevent hackings. In fact, our VPN research indicated that nearly half of VPN users use the service for general security.
- Privacy: Whether youre using the Xbox for gaming or to stream, VPNs encrypt all web traffic and IP addresses so your internet service provider wont see what youre doing.
- Streaming: Many people stream on their Xbox, once theyre done gaming, that is. If thats the case, then VPNs can help you access streaming services in other countries. Thats why there are VPNs for Netflix, VPNs for Hulu, VPNs for Disney+ and more.
FYI: Unsure of how to access another countrys streaming library? Read about how to change your region on Netflix.
Are Mobile VPNs Data Hogs
When a VPN encrypts your traffic, a small amount of data called encryption overhead is added to whatever is transmitted over the network. This overhead can be anywhere between 5% and 15% of the total data transmitted. It all depends on the VPN encryption protocol used, as well as the strength of the encryption.
How does this affect your data plan? Well, the overhead is negligible in size, but it can quickly add up over time. If you have a limited data cap , just switch to a weaker encryption protocol to save some valuable MBs.
Since your device uses fewer resources to encrypt your data, this will also speed up your connection. It also comes at the cost of less security, so keep that in mind if youre concerned about that aspect.
Read Also: Which Is The Best VPN App
Getting A VPN To Work Over Hotspot The Right Way
As mentioned, your smartphones VPN can only protect the phone itself, not other devices that use it to connect to the Internet. Fortunately, you dont need to do much else after you connect your smartphone to a VPN.
Simply use a VPN on the device you want to connect to the mobile hotspot, and youre set.
Careful with your data usage. Browsing the Internet on a laptop tends to use up more data than using your phone directly, for example. Adding two VPN connections to the mix can also increase data usage.
Finally, make sure your VPN provider supports multiple connections on a single subscription. For example, ExpressVPN is a great all-around VPN solution that supports five different devices on the same account.
Looking for a provider that supports even more simultaneous connections? See our in-depth look at the best VPNs of 2020.
Can I Use A Free VPN For Public Wifi Hotspots
We strongly recommend against the use of free VPNs for public wifi hotspots for the following reasons:
- Free VPNs are not secure. Many free VPNs lack encryption, DNS leak protection and other important security features such as a kill switch. Without these, your online security isnt any better than that of a person who isnt using a VPN. As a result, youll be an easy target for hackers, particularly when connected to public wifi hotspots.
- Free VPNs cant be trusted. Very little is truly free and this is certainly the case with VPNs that claim to be free of charge. Free VPNs typically make money by logging your data and selling it to the highest bidder. Others make money from ads which may interrupt your browsing and streaming.
- Free VPNs are slow. This can be a frustrating experience when you want to browse, stream, and video call. Due to the fact that many free VPNs have a lot of users and very few servers, the server load becomes too high and your bandwidth is restricted. This is not the case with the best VPNs for public wifi hotspots in this list.
Recommended Reading: How To Connect My VPN
How To Change The Tethering Apn In Android Devices
The steps here arent as straightforward as they are for changing the tethering in iPhones, but using the PDANet+ application is the best solution.
It will enable you to hide that youre using a hotspot to provide an internet connection to other devices. Your hotspot will be invisible, and your ISP wont see that youre tethering but only using a standard data connection.
Follow these steps:
1. Download and install the PDANet+ application here. Note that the application should be installed on both devices: the one youre creating a hotspot from and the one youre connecting.
2. Once youve installed the app, launch it, and select the WiFi Direct Hotspot option.
3. Navigate to Network Connections and click on Wi-Fi.
4. Connect to the Wi-Fi network specified in the mobile application from your laptops Network and Internet Settings.
How PdaNet+ works:
- The PdaNet+ application on your phone establishes a connection to the PdaNet+ program on your PC or other devices.
- The computer then uses the program as its basic internet connection, while the app on the phone sends internet data through this new connection to your computer, proxying it.
- The new connection mirrors the protocols that your phone naturally generates, creating the illusion that the standard data APN is used and not the tethering APN.
Not even your ISP or the mobile service provider will be able to track this down. Currently, its the safest and most efficient method for unlimited tethering using a VPN.
Best VPNs For Sharing A Connection On Windows
To set up a virtual router and share your VPN connection on Windows, youll need a VPN with the following properties:
- Excellent unblocking capabilities so you can watch anything you want on any streaming service.
- A large, worldwide server network to give you access to all the regions you want to unblock.
- Fast speeds for quick and smooth streaming that wont be interrupted by buffering.
- OpenVPN protocol support.
Also Check: How To Install VPN On Apple TV
How To Make A Hotspot On Your Samsung Smartphone
To turn on the Wi-Fi hotspot on a Samsung smartphone, follow these steps:
Go to Settings > Connections > Mobile Hotspot and Tethering.
On some Samsung devices, go to Settings> Wireless & networks> Connections> Mobile Hotspot and Tethering.
Turn on the Mobile Hotspot toggle switch. The phone becomes a wireless access point and displays a message in the notification bar when it’s activated.
To find the password and instructions for the hotspot, tap Mobile Hotspot. Use this password to connect your other devices to the hotspot, just as you would connect them to any other Wi-Fi network.
To change the default password, tap Password and enter a new password.
Be selective when sharing your Wi-Fi hotspot with other people. Also, data processed through this Wi-Fi feature counts against your monthly allotment of mobile data.
What Is A Virtual Router
A virtual router is essentially a router created from software instead of hardware.
In order to share a VPN connection on Windows, you first need to share the wi-fi connection from your VPN-enabled device.
When you share your wi-fi connection, the software on your device for example, your Windows PC mimics the routing functions of a traditional hardware router.
Your device is turned into a virtual router that is capable of broadcasting a wi-fi network that other devices can connect to and use.
Because this network is created using software, it’s known as a ‘virtual router’ as opposed to a ‘physical router’ that carries out these functions using hardware.
Recommended Reading: What VPN Protocol Should I Use
Switch To A Different VPN Protocol
We’re getting into legacy software territory here, but we might as well cover it while we’re at it. Some users have complained about their VPNs not running on iOS 10 while using the L2TP/IPSec protocol. This appears to have happened right after Apple stopped supporting the unsecure PPTP protocol on their devices – though, how the issues are connected remains a mystery.
If, for some reason, you don’t want to upgrade from iOS 10 to a later version, consider using a different VPN protocol. You can easily change the protocol from within your VPN client settings. We recommend using OpenVPN for the moment while .
How To Connect To Android Hotspot On Windows 10
Things are even quicker on Windows 10.
Step 1: Type “proxy” in the search bar near the Start menu. Click on “Change proxy settings” in the search results.
Step 2: Under “Manual proxy setup,” turn on the “Use a proxy server” option by toggling the switch. Input your Host and Proxy numbers.
And there you have it, your Windows 10 device now shares your Android’s VPN connection.
Don’t Miss: Are There Any Free VPN Services
How To Turn On A Phone Hotspot On Android Phones
Setting up a hotspot on an Android phone depends slightly on what kind of phone you have. But the instructions are more or less the same regardless of the phone.
Usually you can find the hotspot by searching in your phone for hotspot or tethering. After youve turned on the hotspot, connect to it on another device that needs internet by selecting the name of your hotspot in the devices Wi-Fi menu and putting in the password.
As you set up the hotspot, make sure youve switched on your cellular data, which the hotspot uses to provide a Wi-Fi connection.
Does VPN Work Over Hotspot Through Jailbreaking Or Rooting
Yes, rooting your Android phone or jailbreaking your iPhone could technically allow you to share your hotspots VPN connection with other devices. However, neither of those is recommended for various reasons.
The headache of rooting or jailbreaking your phone probably isnt worth it, either. At least not if you have something simple in mind, like watching Netflix over a mobile hotspot. Its much easier just to get a VPN that supports multiple connections and use the steps described above.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Unbanned From Omegle No VPN
Features That Requires System App Installation
The following features in the app requires it to be installed under /system/priv-app since some restricted permissions are required.One way to do this is to use App systemizer for Magisk.
- android.permission.OVERRIDE_WIFI_CONFIG: Read/write system Wi-Fi hotspot configuration.
Installing as system app also has the side benefit of launching root daemon less frequently due to having privileged permissions listed below.
Whenever you install an app update, if there was a new protected permission addition , you should update the app installed in system as well to make the system grant the privileged permission.
What Is A Phone Wi
A phone Wi-Fi hotspot is an internet access point built into your smartphone, providing a Wi-Fi connection for other devices within its range. It works similarly to a wired internet connection like the one you have at home, only it uses mobile data from your cellular provider to get you internet access.
Make your phone a hotspot when you are . . .
- Staying in a vacation home
- Working at a restaurant or coffee shop
- Looking for Wi-Fi while your home internet is down
Just keep in mind that your phones Wi-Fi hotspot isnt an adequate replacement for home internet. Hotspot data usually costs a lot more and the speeds arent as fast, so youre still better off with a wired internet plan if you need a setup for day-in, day-out use. Or you can get a dedicated mobile hotspot.
Looking for new internet? Search your zip code below to find internet providers in your area.
Read Also: How Does Norton VPN Work On Pc