Advantage : Anonymous Downloading
Downloading certain Torrents is illegal in some countries and more than ever before tracked down and sometimes even prosecuted. Of course, we are not advocating any illegal actions. However, we do understand people want online privacy and anonymity, not just when browsing the internet, but also when uploading and downloading files.
To make sure nobody knows what you are downloading or uploading you can use a VPN. Because of the encrypted traffic and the rerouted IP address you can with a VPN.
Understanding The Concepts Used
In order to be effective in troubleshooting problems with VPN connections it helps if you know some of the basic concepts behind networking. Although we are assuming that people that install our product already have a background in computer technology and networking, nobody can be expected to know everything. Without requiring you to spend hours learning all the concepts we are explaining some of them here in a simplified manner to help understand how some of the technical terms apply and what they mean on a basic level.
What Is A Virtual Private Network
A VPN creates an encrypted connection from a single device to a larger virtual private network, typically powered by one or more web servers. Traffic and internet browsing passed through the VPN encrypts data so that it cannot be intercepted by a government or ISP, or anyone else monitoring. This creates a more secure browsing environment while also preventing any websites from seeing browsing history from your actual IP address.
Don’t Miss: Nordvpn Kodi Fire TV
How To Choose The Best VPN Server Locations And Ips
Depending on what youre doing online, it might be better to connect to a VPN server in a specific country.
- For internet freedom, Iceland is a top choice. Connect to a VPN server in Iceland if youre looking for anonymity when browsing online.
- For unblocking streaming services, use an American VPN server or one located in Canada. These countries have few internet restrictions and have the two biggest Netflix libraries outside of Japan. CyberGhost can unblock American Netflix.
- For speedy connections when online gaming, choose your VPN server carefully. Use a server thats not too far from the online games servers and your own home country. With a choice of 94 countries, ExpressVPN is great for most countries worldwide.
Ready to start using a VPN? We recommend ExpressVPN for speed, no data logging, and the sheer number of countries with fast VPN servers.
Youll find more information on which IP address to use in the full article below. Weve broken this down into the best countries for different activities.
Want to change your IP address to one of the best VPN server locations? Not sure which IP address to use? Youve come to the right place. While your network assigns one automatically, you can easily change your IP address with a VPN in just a few simple steps.
Whether you want to access blocked websites in another country or save money online, a VPN can help you achieve these goals.
Whats The Best VPN Server Location For Streaming
With streaming services like Netflix, Disney Plus, and Amazon Prime, the choice of movies and TV shows to watch from the comfort of your couch is growing every day. However, did you know that most of these streaming services dont offer the same range of programsin every country?
Depending on broadcasting rights, you wont necessarily see the same shows from one country to the next. Thats why youre blocked from the US Netflix platform if youre outside of the U.S. for example. The website takes one look at your IP address and shows you the door. To circumvent this, we recommend the following countries for streaming:
- Best VPN location for Amazon Prime: The US boasts around 18,250 titles on Amazon Prime, with the UK coming in second place with around 11,000. Theres a sharp drop to third place Canada has just 6,130.
- Best VPN location for Netflix: Japan has the biggest Netflix library, with around 5,963 titles. The US comes in second place, with approximately 5,655. Again, Canada is in third place.
Here are just a few of the popular shows that you can only watch on Netflix if youre browsing from within the United States:
- 30 Rock
- Parks and Recreation
Also Check: How To Get Free VPN On Xbox One
Getting A VPN Is A Snap Do It Now
Remember, you dont need to switch the Internet Provider Service you use at home or the office to connect to the Internet.
You also dont need to buy any new equipment, like a modem or router, or hire some squad of geeks to hook you up to anything.
Its all done online. In minutes.
Weve reviewed and recommend the following best VPN providers:
Using The Management Interface
The OpenVPN management interface allows a great deal of control over a running OpenVPN process. You can use the management interface directly, by telneting to the management interface port, or indirectly by using an OpenVPN GUI which itself connects to the management interface.
To enable the management interface on either an OpenVPN server or client, add this to the configuration file:
management localhost 7505
This tells OpenVPN to listen on TCP port 7505 for management interface clients .
Once OpenVPN is running, you can connect to the management interface using a telnet client. For example:
For more information, see the OpenVPN Management Interface Documentation.
You May Like: Does VPN Slow Down Internet Speed
What Is My VPN Ip Address And How Can I Hide It
To the average web surfer, all the technical jargon around VPNs can get pretty overwhelming. Thankfully, understanding how you connect to the internet and how VPNs work is easier than you might think. Read on to learn what your IP address is and how you can hide it using a VPN.
How Do I Hide My Ip Address
Hiding your IP address is dauntingly simple: use a VPN or a virtual private network.
When you connect to a VPN, youre sending encrypted requests that your ISP forwards to one of your VPNs servers, which forwards them to their final destination. During this process, the VPN masks your public IP address behind its own, so that when your requests come in it looks like theyre coming from this server and not your network.
See also: We tested popular VPNs to see which was the fastest. Heres what we found
This is good news if you want to access geo-restricted content. Just connect to a server in the region you want to be in and youre good to go.
Also Check: How To Setup VPN On Att Uverse Router
Can A VPN Protect My Identity
A VPN can protect your identity by blocking online trackers from following you around the internet. With your VPN on, trackers will think all of your browsing is coming from a different device in a different location. This throws off the profile advertisers try to build because they think youre someone else.
Another way a VPN can protect your identity is by preventing some types of hacking. Stopping attacks on public WiFi where a bad actor tries to get between you and the website youre visiting, is just one way VPNs can help. Its called a Man-in-the-Middle attack, but thats a subject for another article.
What About Hiding My VPN Ip Address
Some websites try to block access through VPNs by logging IP addresses known to belong to VPN servers.
If youve ever gotten a message like this, you know what Im talking about.
This might lead you to think you should hide your VPNs IP address as well, but that isnt really the answer. Web traffic has to have an IP address connected to it, and traffic that flows through a VPN is no exception.
If you find that the IP address of a particular server is blocked by a website youre trying to reach, your best options are to choose a different server or try a different VPN service.
Don’t Miss: Does VPN Slow Down Internet Speed
VPN Providers For Consumers
This is just a small selection of the available VPN providers. There are some really good VPNs on the market, a lot of mediocre VPNs and many more bad, misleading or even dangerous VPNs.
At VPNOverview.com we analyze developments in the VPN industry, read independent audit reports and monitor lawsuits involving VPN providers.
Unfortunately, quite a few VPN providers have fallen off their pedestal over the years, for example because lawsuits showed that they secretly kept logs of users . In addition, there are also some VPNs that are linked to questionable governments.
Choosing a reliable VPN is therefore a must after all, you redirect all your internet traffic via this party. That is why you must be able to rely 100% on the good intentions and integrity of the VPN provider you choose.
Identifying A VPN Service Provider
If your VPN is provided by a VPN Service provider , and you are unsure of who this may be, there are two ways you can identify who your provider may be:
- Registration Name: Many VPN Service providers who bundle Viscosity with their service register it under their name. If this is the case, you can identify your VPN Service provider’s name by opening Viscosity’s Preferences window, clicking on the About toolbar icon, and view the “Registered To” name located at in the top right-hand corner of the window.
- Server Address: If Viscosity is registered under your name, or otherwise not your VPN Service provider’s name, you may be able to identify your VPN Service provider by the Remote Server Address for your connection. For example, an address of “vpn.myprovider.com” may indicate your VPN provider’s name is “MyProvider”, with a website located at “myprovider.com”.You can view the Remote Server Address for your connection by opening Viscosity’s Preferences window, double-clicking on your connection to edit it, and then viewing the address in the Remote Server Address field.
- Your Purchase History: If you have recently had problems connecting to your VPN Server, your subscription to your VPN Provider may have recently lapsed. Check back through your purchase history of your regular purchase method around 3, 6 and 12 months ago to see if made a subscription payment. Many VPN Providers do not auto-renew your subscription as they do not store your payment details.
Recommended Reading: Do VPN Slow Down Internet
Three Great VPN Providers For Beginners
If youd like to start using a VPN, its easiest to choose a trustworthy provider and access the internet through their servers. We have tested most major VPN providers of this moment on their usability and quality. Most good VPN providers offer trials so you can check out their service free of charge. If youd like to get started with a simple yet great VPN, we recommend ExpressVPN, NordVPN, or Surfshark.
Use The Ip Lookup Tool
If you dont like the idea of delving into your routers settings, then PureVPNs IP lookup tool can help you find and display your public IP address. Open the website, and it will show you details about your IP address, ISP, city, and country.
Note: Keep in mind that if youre using a virtual private network, aka VPN, it will not show the IP assigned by your ISP but rather the IP that the VPN server has assigned to you.
Also Check: Does VPN Slow Down Internet Speed
What Is A VPN Server
A VPN server is a physical or virtual server that is configured to host and deliver VPN services to users worldwide. The server is a combination of VPN hardware and VPN software that allow VPN clients to connect to a secure private network. Unlike most servers, a VPN server usually has more logical and physical communications ports.
Advantage : Secure Browsing On Public Networks
Using a public Wi-Fi network can be very risky. Other users on the same network can easily tap into your data and personal information. Since you dont want others to have access to, for instance, your email login, images/files or credit card information it might be wise to use a VPN connection.
The VPN encrypts all of your data while you use the public Wi-Fi network. A hacker will only see encrypted matter and wont be able to see or use your personal information.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Free VPN On Xbox One
Free Ip Address VPN Detection Test
Your IP address is: 220.127.116.11
Use this tool to perform a VPN detection test on any IP address. Lookup any IP addresses that recently allowed VPN activity or functioned as a Virtual Private Network. 99.9% accuracy for testing VPN IP addressees. VPN detection data is powered by IPQS proxy detection service.
Test Your VPN Connection
Now, you can begin testing your VPNs servers. However, since we want to be thorough, well ask you to access your VPN. If you dont have it , you can proceed to the next step. So, do the following:
1. Launch your VPN client and connect to a server. That is done using your VPN clients interface, but you can also set up manual connections for the same purpose.
2. Then, visit WhatIsMyIP.com to test your Web connections data. You should see your IPv4, IPv6, local IPs, your city and country, and even your ISP. Of course, all of that data will come from your VPN connection. In other words, none of your real or true data should pop up on any IP address-checking websites.
3. Now, go one step further and visit IPLocation.net. We recommend using that website because it relies on several geolocation providers. Therefore, youll test your VPN server more thoroughly, checking for any data leaks. Also, pay attention to the location of your VPN server listed there, as you shouldnt see any inconsistencies.
Read Also: Does VPN Work With Cellular Data
Including Multiple Machines On The Server Side When Using A Routed VPN
Once the VPN is operational in a point-to-point capacity between client and server, it may be desirable to expand the scope of the VPN so that clients can reach multiple machines on the server network, rather than only the server machine itself.
For the purpose of this example, we will assume that the server-side LAN uses a subnet of 10.66.0.0/24and the VPN IP address pool uses 10.8.0.0/24 as cited in the server directive in the OpenVPN server configuration file.
First, you must advertise the 10.66.0.0/24 subnet to VPN clients as being accessible through the VPN. This can easily be done with the following server-side config file directive:
push "route 10.66.0.0 255.255.255.0"
Next, you must set up a route on the server-side LAN gateway to route the VPN client subnet to the OpenVPN server .
Using Shared Object Or Dll Plugins
Shared object or DLL plugins are usually compiled C modules which are loaded by the OpenVPN server at run time. For example if you are using an RPM-based OpenVPN package on Linux, the openvpn-auth-pam plugin should be already built. To use it, add this to the server-side config file:
plugin /usr/share/openvpn/plugin/lib/openvpn-auth-pam.so login
This will tell the OpenVPN server to validate the username/password entered by clients using the loginPAM module.
For real-world production use, it’s better to use the openvpn-auth-pam plugin, because it has several advantages over the auth-pam.pl script:
- The shared object openvpn-auth-pam plugin uses a split-privilege execution model for better security. This means that the OpenVPN server can run with reduced privileges by using the directives user nobody, group nobody, and chroot, and will still be able to authenticate against the root-readable-only shadow password file.
- OpenVPN can pass the username/password to a plugin via virtual memory, rather than via a file or the environment, which is better for local security on the server machine.
- C-compiled plugin modules generally run faster than scripts.
If you would like more information on developing your own plugins for use with OpenVPN, see the README files in the plugin subdirectory of the OpenVPN source distribution.
To build the openvpn-auth-pam plugin on Linux, cd to the plugin/auth-pam directory in the OpenVPN source distribution and run make.
Recommended Reading: What VPN Works With Prime Video
Use An Online Ip Address Checker
This is by far the quickest and easiest way to see your current IP address. It works for any connected device. Although you can simply Google What is my IP address? and get an answer, we recommend using a dedicated service like whatismyip.com. This is because, in addition to showing your IP address, these sites also show geo-location data attached to your IP address. In other words, they let you know just how much information youre revealing as you browse the internet.
To be fair, geo-location data isnt 100% accurate, and different services will often return slightly different results. However, generally, anyone with your IP address can find out which country youre in , who your Internet Service Provider is, and possibly even your postal code.
Should VPN Clients Have Access To Private Subnets
- Yes, using NAT enables one directional traffic to server-side subnets. The source address of packets is altered by the Access Server to allow the traffic to appear local.
- Yes, using Routing allows for incoming and outgoing traffic but requires advanced configuration outside of the Access Server. The virtual address of each VPN Client is the source address on client packets destined for private subnets. Routing must be configured on hosts on the private subnets so that response packets can route back to the VPN Clients via the Access Server host’s IP address on the private subnet. Routing for a site-to-site network with multi-directional packet traffic is covered here.
- No disables traffic for incoming and outgoing traffic at the global level. However, it is possible to still configure these settings at the Group and User level.
For more information about the differences between NAT and Routing, click here. NAT is usually preferred for allowing VPN Clients access to private subnets. Routing is more complicated to configure as it requires routing changes on the network infrastructure. Routing is offered to accommodate applications that do not function properly through NAT.
Don’t Miss: Private Internet Access Amazon Fire TV