How We Tested The Best VPNs
It was all hands on deck as we dug in to find the best VPN service provider. In addition to in-depth online research examining all the ins and outs of the most popular VPNs on the market, we also looked at expert and customer reviews and conducted our own hands-on tests. Four members of our team tried out six different VPNs, looking for how well each performed in these specific areas:
- Setup and installation: How easy was it to install on different devices, how much time did it take, and were they any hiccups?
- Performance: How well did activities like streaming, online gaming, and other online activities perform? Were you able to access services like Netflix?
- Speed: How did the VPN affect upload and download speeds on different devices ?
- Mobile app functions: Was the app easy to install, and did it work as expected?
- Features: What extra features are available, and did they deliver as promised?
Who Needs A VPN
Anyone who uses the Internet on a public Wi-Fi network needs a VPN. Theyre also ideal for anyone traveling internationally who needs to access a private network in another location, or anyone that wants to bypass government, school or work restrictions on Internet usage. VPNs are ideal for journalists, activists, whistleblowers, and anyone else that wants to be as anonymous as possible online.
What Devices Can You Use With A VPN
A VPN can work with nearly any device that connects to the internet:
- Computers Whether youre running Windows, Mac OS, Linux, or even a Chromebook, you will be able to use a VPN on your computer. Installation and setup options will depend on the VPN service you go with.
- Phones and tablets VPNs are also very popular on phones and tablets. Whether you are running Android or iOS, you will be able to use your VPN on any smart phone or tablet. Ubuntu Touch should also work with a VPN.
- Routers When you install the VPN on your router, all the devices that connect to your router will be using the encrypted VPN tunnel without the need to install VPN software on each device. The router will only count as one VPN connection under your subscription, even if there are numerous devices using the routers encrypted VPN connection. There are some important considerations before you do this see my VPN router guide for setup tips.
- TV boxes Most TV boxes are built on the Android operating system. This means that you can install a VPN on your TV box using your VPN services Android app. Check with your VPN provider for instructions.
- Smart TVs Whether or not you can use a VPN on your smart TV will depend on the type of smart TV you have and whether your VPN supports it. Android-based smart TVs can use an Android VPN app.
- Fire Stick and Fire TV VPNs can also be used on Fire Stick and Fire TV. For more information, see the best VPN for Firestick and Fire TV guide.
Also Check: Best Router For Uverse
Hands On With Mullvad VPN For Iphone
Mullvad’s iPhone VPN has a dark blue interface and a bright red header that turns green when the VPN is active, making it easy for you to know when the VPN is protecting your privacy. When you open the app for the first time, it checks to make sure you want to remain anonymous and states its commitment to your privacy.
Next, you choose your VPN servers location. Unlike the Windows desktop version of the service, however, the iPhone version doesnt let you choose an individual server, or even a city. You just get a list of countries, and the app chooses the city and server for you.
Once you have it up and running, Mullvad VPNs iPhone app is extremely straightforward and easy to use, and we didn’t find browsing to be noticeably slower. We also confirmed that it wasnt leaking our DNS requests with the DNS Leak Test Tool. Note, however, that it has a very limited Settings menu. You can access your account information and your WireGuard key, but it lacks a Kill Switch, split-tunneling, or any advanced network settings. Still, it works well as an on-the-go VPN option.
Is Using A VPN Safe For Banking
Because a VPN encrypts the data you send, such as when you enter your log-in credentials, it can protect you while you are visiting your banks online portal. Snoops wont be able to see your log-in information if you first connect to a VPN. This is especially helpful if you must access your online bank through a public Wi-Fi connection. You should only do this in an emergency because such online connections are so vulnerable to hackers. But by logging onto public Wi-Fi through a VPN, you can block your browsing activity from cybercriminals, hackers, and other spies.
You May Like: VPN Cellular Data
Is A VPN Legal
VPNs are not illegal in the United States. However, not all countries have the same laws regarding these services. For instance, China, Russia, and North Korea either regulate or ban VPNs. You should know, too, that if you commit an illegal act online using a a VPN, that act is still illegal. Customers often use VPNs so that they can stream sporting events and TV shows that they may be blocked from accessing in their own region. Using a VPN to pretend that you are logging onto the internet from a different location might violate the service agreements of streaming services.
Vyprvpn Bypassing Censorship: Strong
VyprVPN has a special protocol called Chameleon that keeps your VPN traffic undetectable. While some competitors like ExpressVPN use obfuscation tools or servers to bypass censorship, VyprVPN hides your connection with a protocol technology which is also very easy to enable on all of its apps.
Read Also: What Does Bitdefender VPN Do
How To Test The Operators And Their VPN Software
No company really expects its customers to actually do it.
That is where VPNetic comes in.
If they pass, I will move on to creating an account.
Just like an ordinary customer, I will visit their website and purchase a subscription.
If there are any problems along the way, I will also make sure to contact customer support to see how helpful they will be.
If no major problem has occurred this far, this is where I will download the application and evaluate the UI.
Most applications will be pretty similar, but I have definitely used lackluster software many times before.
Now is the time for testing the performance and speed of the servers.
Usually, I will test them on 6 different servers in 6 different countries.
If they want to pass this test, they need to keep 80% of our baseline speed or more, in 5 or more countries.
Some other important factors that I consider when picking the Top 10 are the following:
- The number of simultaneous connections allowed.
- Built-in Adblock / Antimalware software.
- The number of server locations.
Why You Should Trust Us
We scoured articles, white papers, customer reviews, security audit reports, and forums to compile the pros and cons of various VPN services, different VPN protocols and encryption technologies, and signals indicating transparency, trustworthiness, and security.
We interviewed Electronic Frontier Foundation director of cybersecurity Eva Galperin about limitations of VPNs and tips for selecting the appropriate VPN based on individual circumstances. We spoke with Trail of Bits co-founder and CEO Dan Guido about the security challenges inherent in VPNs and the limitations of security audits and reports. We got answers from Joseph Jerome, then the policy counsel for the Center for Democracy & Technologys privacy and data project, about how accountable VPNs were for their business models, privacy practices, security protocols, and protections, and how that related to trustworthiness. We discussed what to look forand avoidin VPNs with security researcher Kenneth White, co-director of the Open Crypto Audit Project, and with cryptographer and Johns Hopkins University professor Matthew Green. We also touched base with blockchain privacy expert and Clovyr co-founder Amber Baldet to discuss the privacy advantages and pitfalls to consider when paying for a VPN with cryptocurrency.
Also Check: Att Router Block Websites
Is There A Totally Free VPN
There are some free VPNs but we do not recommend using them.
The old adage of something appearing too good to be true blazes like a warning alarm around these services.
You know what they say about free services
YOU are the product.
Many have even been caught doing far worse, like injecting ads or referring affiliate traffic to boost profits on your behalf.
So be sure to do your homework.
See if the VPN youre interested in offers a free trial. Or, if you look around, you can find coupons or discounts like our NordVPN coupon.
How Did We Determine Our Top Six List
First of all, it was important that there were no direct or hidden subscription costs. VPNs with free trials but that automatically turn into a paid subscription were not included in our list.
Additionally, we felt it was crucial that the VPNs we test dont sell customer information to third parties.
When comparing various free VPN services, we also looked at encryption, data limits, speed caps, the number of simultaneous connections that are allowed, and the server locations.
Don’t Miss: How To Connect Att Uverse Router
Is A Free VPN Worth Getting
Honestly, there isn’t one easy answer to this question. It depends on what you want to use your free VPN for. If it’s just about having a bit more security on your laptop or mobile when using public Wi-Fi, they can be just the ticket. Jump on the service, turn on an encrypted server connection and crack on with your online activities safe in the knowledge that no prying eyes will be able to see your private information.
But if your main purpose is to have a streaming VPN say, or want to use it while downloading terabytes of torrent files, a free VPN just isn’t going to do the trick. For starters, most of them limit you to a daily or monthly data allowance that you’ll rinse through in no time at all. While most don’t have the kind of easy access support or server range required to make those activities easy with a virtual private network.
Does My Business Need A VPN
Yes, any business with employees that regularly connect to the internet could benefit from the privacy and security offered by a VPN. Sensitive emails, financial data, and any software passwords or other login information should all be protected, and a high-quality VPN is one simple way to add another layer of security.
Particularly after the pandemic-spurred shift to remote work, many workspaces are now hybrids: Some employees come into the office while many others remain remote some or all of the time. As a result, businesses rely on cloud-hosted and internet-accessable software, and should use a company-wide VPN. Even a completely in-office team would benefit from a
TV stations, gas pipelines, even dental patients they’ve all seen data breaches or ransomware attacks in the recent past. VPNs won’t provide 100% security to your business, but they’re one of the easiest ways to boost security and should be the first thing a IT team rolls out.
Have you used a VPN before?
Recommended Reading: 911 VPN Download For Pc
What Is VPN How It Works Types Of VPN
VPN stands for “Virtual Private Network” and describes the opportunity to establish a protected network connection when using public networks. VPNs encrypt your internet traffic and disguise your online identity. This makes it more difficult for third parties to track your activities online and steal data. The encryption takes place in real time.
Does A VPN Slow Down Your Connection
Let’s be clear: Using a VPN does add a bit of a load on your computer and can often slow down your connection. That’s because your data is encrypted, decrypted, and sent through intermediate servers. Game responsiveness might suffer. If you’re a first-person shooter player, you might have enough lag to lose the shot. That said, both computers and VPNs have gotten much faster. When I first used a VPN, every… thing…slowed… down… to… an… unbearable… c-r-a-w-l. But now, the negative impact is almost unnoticeable, and at least one service we spotlight below actually increased performance, making it one of the fastest VPNs we’ve seen.
Also, most of the VPN providers we spotlight limit the number of devices you can connect simultaneously, so you may have to pick and choose which home devices connect.
Don’t Miss: 911 VPN App
Four Reasons To Use A VPN
- To protect yourself from online identity theft while using a public Wi-Fi internet connection.
- To maintain your personal privacy by preventing others having access to your online activities, location or identity.
- To access content only available in other countries due to geoblocking. This can include, for example, watching online HULU or Netflix from outside the USA, or BBC TV from outside the UK. CHOICE believes consumers should have the right to purchase overseas products and content without geographical restrictions.
- To get around “bandwidth throttling”, which is when your ISP detects and de-prioritises certain types of internet traffic, such as torrent downloads or streaming video, thus slowing down your connection. Turning on your VPN prevents the ISP detecting the type of information being transferred, so you should regain normal speed.
Can You Trust A Free VPN Service
Free VPN options can be more tricky than premium ones because they need to make money somehow. This may result in heavily limited bandwidth, ads, fewer features, and slower speeds. In some cases, it could also mean less clear privacy policies.
Your best choice for a free VPN service is one thats part of a trial or beginner plan for a larger professional VPN service. There are also a handful of free good VPNs that many people trust.
Read Also: Use VPN With Apple TV
How Do You Choose The Best VPN For Your Needs
The easiest way to find the best VPN service is to first consider how youll be using the VPN. For some people, streaming Netflix and unblocking websites is the top priority. Others may look for a VPN with advanced privacy and security features. After all, we are all living in a world of eroding digital privacy and also increasing risks from hackers and security vulnerabilities.
Here at RestorePrivacy, we take all these factors into consideration when ranking the best VPN services:
If a VPN does not fulfill all the criteria listed above, it is not featured in this report. And when you apply this standard to all the VPNs on the market, there are very few that make the cut. So lets cut to the chase.
Here are the best VPN services for 2022:
Major Risks Of Using Free VPNs Services
While free VPN are super tempting to use, you should never look over the obvious privacy concerns. For example, free VPN providers make money by harvesting and selling your data to third-party advertisers. Also, with most free VPNs, youll get limited bandwidth to consume and a few server locations to choose from.
Truth be told, there are a lot of good reasons why free services arent recommended. Consider the following:
- Data retention, sharing, and selling Free VPNs resorts to shady practices like selling your data to third parties to make money.
- Malware, invasive permissions, & security problems Research found that more than 30% of the free VPN apps tracked users through malware.
- Speed and bandwidth limits Free VPNs implement bandwidth caps to throttle your internet connection speeds.
- Weak unblocking capabilities Due to small server networks, free VPNs are unable to access geo-blocked websites.
- Unavailability of advanced features Advanced features such as multi-hopping, obfuscation, etc. are almost always unavailable in free versions of VPN apps.
Overall, free VPN are not ideal for streaming content in HD or sharing large files. For that, paid VPNs such as ExpressVPN are a much better option.
30 Days Money-Back Guarantee
Read Also: VPN For At& t
VPN Security Features To Look For
For the average internet user, the world of VPNs might not make a lot of sense. Why does the number of servers matter? What does that ominous-sounding killswitch really do? If you want to make an informed decision about which VPN is right for you, you need to know what each security feature can do for you.
If you’re doing your own VPN security research, or if you’re simply trying to better understand the pros and cons of each of the top ten VPNs we’ve listed above, here’s a bullet point list of the terms you should know.
A good VPN should have a killswitch, no-logging policy
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection
The free VPN by Kaspersky works like a charm but has its limitations, like the rest of the services on this list. It offers 200MB of data per day, which translates to about 6GB per month. Thats not bad considering its free, but the service still isnt suitable for power users. Unfortunately, theres no option to score additional free data.
There are many server locations available, but you cant choose which ones to connect to using a free plan the service will automatically choose the closest server automatically. The app is easy to use, allowing you to start browsing anonymously with just a simple tap. Signing up for the VPN is a breeze as well, and prices are pretty accessible.
- Paid plans: Start at $4.99 per month
Recommended Reading: How To Use A VPN On Xbox One